Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021


Michael Champion
 

Trying out the new openjsf AC standards list ...

I wonder if one of us should join this Zoom meeting with Jeff Jaffe next week?  I don’t have any particular topics to suggest.  But it would be an opportunity for OpenJS Foundation to “show the flag” at W3C: position ourselves as engaged stakeholders, and potentially build political capital for any future issues in which we do have a strong interest. For example, we could make sure the AC knows that the Foundation nominated and helps support Lea Verou on the TAG.

I suspect most of the things we care about are pretty “meta” — we want W3C to be a user-focused community that actively collaborates with open source projects and other standards organizations (such as TC 39) that are evolving the web platform.  Most of the things Jeff worries about are pretty concrete, especially generating enough revenue and transitioning to a non-profit corporation to support the existing staff without having to make hard / unpopular decisions about priorities and values.  Still it might be useful to listen in to get a “sense of the room” for what other members are saying and what the reaction is.  

What do others think?

Mike
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@...>
Date: Feb 3, 2021, 7:40 AM -0800
To: W3C Members <w3c-ac-forum@...>
Cc: Chairs <chairs@...>, ab <ab@...>, tag@..., W3C Evangelists <group-evangelists@...>, W3C Chapters <chapter-all@...>
Subject: Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,
Chairs, TAG, AB, Chapters, and Evangelists,


This is a reminder that W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe will hold the first series of AC Office Hours next week. This is not a "must-attend" replacement to our bi-annual AC meeting - but more of an opportunity for informal exchange of ideas.

While there will be no structured agenda for the first meeting, please, do not hesitate to send any questions or topics you wish to discuss, either on this mailing list or privately to <jeff@...>.


Summary of Jeff’s e-mail:

To partly address not having AC/TPAC in person meetings and hallway conversations with our Membership, Jeff Jaffe is creating an experimental new program called AC Office Hours: an open-line Zoom sessions, every second Tuesday of each month, during three hours to accommodate time zones, to meet with AC Reps (+Chairs, AB, TAG, Evangelists, Chapters) who are interested in talking about W3C and the web.

The first series will be 9 February (the third hour will actually be 10 February in Europe and Asia):
1400 UTC [1], 2100 UTC [2], and 0200 UTC [3] (next day).
[1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T09&p1=43&ah=1
[2] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T16&p1=43&ah=1
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T21&p1=43&ah=1

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://mit.zoom.us/j/98122336846?pwd=SGcxRXhxMFoxbElkUzFtZnFwREJIdz09
Password: OfficeHr
Meeting ID: 981 2233 6846
International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/ac0UExXLxs

For IRC we will meet in #ac <http://irc.w3.org/?channels=ac>.


We will begin this experimental program informally. There will be no structured agenda for the first meeting - it is an open line for W3C Management (W3M) and the Team to hear about your concerns or ideas for improvement at W3C. Several W3Mers will join the call depending on availability. Among items that we may discuss are your ideas to make the best usage of these calls.


Thank you,

Coralie Mercier
Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier - W3C Marketing & Communications - https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@... +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/


Brian Kardell
 

I mean, I think it would be great if someone was going to attend... even if more than one of us attended.  Mike if you want to go, maybe I can also go as representing igalia


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Trying out the new openjsf AC standards list ...

I wonder if one of us should join this Zoom meeting with Jeff Jaffe next week?  I don’t have any particular topics to suggest.  But it would be an opportunity for OpenJS Foundation to “show the flag” at W3C: position ourselves as engaged stakeholders, and potentially build political capital for any future issues in which we do have a strong interest. For example, we could make sure the AC knows that the Foundation nominated and helps support Lea Verou on the TAG.

I suspect most of the things we care about are pretty “meta” — we want W3C to be a user-focused community that actively collaborates with open source projects and other standards organizations (such as TC 39) that are evolving the web platform.  Most of the things Jeff worries about are pretty concrete, especially generating enough revenue and transitioning to a non-profit corporation to support the existing staff without having to make hard / unpopular decisions about priorities and values.  Still it might be useful to listen in to get a “sense of the room” for what other members are saying and what the reaction is.  

What do others think?

Mike
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@...>
Date: Feb 3, 2021, 7:40 AM -0800
To: W3C Members <w3c-ac-forum@...>
Cc: Chairs <chairs@...>, ab <ab@...>, tag@..., W3C Evangelists <group-evangelists@...>, W3C Chapters <chapter-all@...>
Subject: Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,
Chairs, TAG, AB, Chapters, and Evangelists,


This is a reminder that W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe will hold the first series of AC Office Hours next week. This is not a "must-attend" replacement to our bi-annual AC meeting - but more of an opportunity for informal exchange of ideas.

While there will be no structured agenda for the first meeting, please, do not hesitate to send any questions or topics you wish to discuss, either on this mailing list or privately to <jeff@...>.


Summary of Jeff’s e-mail:

To partly address not having AC/TPAC in person meetings and hallway conversations with our Membership, Jeff Jaffe is creating an experimental new program called AC Office Hours: an open-line Zoom sessions, every second Tuesday of each month, during three hours to accommodate time zones, to meet with AC Reps (+Chairs, AB, TAG, Evangelists, Chapters) who are interested in talking about W3C and the web.

The first series will be 9 February (the third hour will actually be 10 February in Europe and Asia):
1400 UTC [1], 2100 UTC [2], and 0200 UTC [3] (next day).
[1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T09&p1=43&ah=1
[2] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T16&p1=43&ah=1
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T21&p1=43&ah=1

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://mit.zoom.us/j/98122336846?pwd=SGcxRXhxMFoxbElkUzFtZnFwREJIdz09
Password: OfficeHr
Meeting ID: 981 2233 6846
International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/ac0UExXLxs

For IRC we will meet in #ac <http://irc.w3.org/?channels=ac>.


We will begin this experimental program informally. There will be no structured agenda for the first meeting - it is an open line for W3C Management (W3M) and the Team to hear about your concerns or ideas for improvement at W3C. Several W3Mers will join the call depending on availability. Among items that we may discuss are your ideas to make the best usage of these calls.


Thank you,

Coralie Mercier
Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier - W3C Marketing & Communications - https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@... +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/



--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


Michael Champion
 

Brian, you’re still the AC Rep of record for OpenJS Foundation as well as Igalia.  

Mike

On Feb 3, 2021, 8:43 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I mean, I think it would be great if someone was going to attend... even if more than one of us attended.  Mike if you want to go, maybe I can also go as representing igalia


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Trying out the new openjsf AC standards list ...

I wonder if one of us should join this Zoom meeting with Jeff Jaffe next week?  I don’t have any particular topics to suggest.  But it would be an opportunity for OpenJS Foundation to “show the flag” at W3C: position ourselves as engaged stakeholders, and potentially build political capital for any future issues in which we do have a strong interest. For example, we could make sure the AC knows that the Foundation nominated and helps support Lea Verou on the TAG.

I suspect most of the things we care about are pretty “meta” — we want W3C to be a user-focused community that actively collaborates with open source projects and other standards organizations (such as TC 39) that are evolving the web platform.  Most of the things Jeff worries about are pretty concrete, especially generating enough revenue and transitioning to a non-profit corporation to support the existing staff without having to make hard / unpopular decisions about priorities and values.  Still it might be useful to listen in to get a “sense of the room” for what other members are saying and what the reaction is.  

What do others think?

Mike
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@...>
Date: Feb 3, 2021, 7:40 AM -0800
To: W3C Members <w3c-ac-forum@...>
Cc: Chairs <chairs@...>, ab <ab@...>, tag@..., W3C Evangelists <group-evangelists@...>, W3C Chapters <chapter-all@...>
Subject: Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,
Chairs, TAG, AB, Chapters, and Evangelists,


This is a reminder that W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe will hold the first series of AC Office Hours next week. This is not a "must-attend" replacement to our bi-annual AC meeting - but more of an opportunity for informal exchange of ideas.

While there will be no structured agenda for the first meeting, please, do not hesitate to send any questions or topics you wish to discuss, either on this mailing list or privately to <jeff@...>.


Summary of Jeff’s e-mail:

To partly address not having AC/TPAC in person meetings and hallway conversations with our Membership, Jeff Jaffe is creating an experimental new program called AC Office Hours: an open-line Zoom sessions, every second Tuesday of each month, during three hours to accommodate time zones, to meet with AC Reps (+Chairs, AB, TAG, Evangelists, Chapters) who are interested in talking about W3C and the web.

The first series will be 9 February (the third hour will actually be 10 February in Europe and Asia):
1400 UTC [1], 2100 UTC [2], and 0200 UTC [3] (next day).
[1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T09&p1=43&ah=1
[2] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T16&p1=43&ah=1
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T21&p1=43&ah=1

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://mit.zoom.us/j/98122336846?pwd=SGcxRXhxMFoxbElkUzFtZnFwREJIdz09
Password: OfficeHr
Meeting ID: 981 2233 6846
International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/ac0UExXLxs

For IRC we will meet in #ac <http://irc.w3.org/?channels=ac>.


We will begin this experimental program informally. There will be no structured agenda for the first meeting - it is an open line for W3C Management (W3M) and the Team to hear about your concerns or ideas for improvement at W3C. Several W3Mers will join the call depending on availability. Among items that we may discuss are your ideas to make the best usage of these calls.


Thank you,

Coralie Mercier
Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier - W3C Marketing & Communications - https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@... +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/



--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


Brian Kardell
 

I know, I was suggesting that if you wanted to attend we could arrange that and I could still also go.


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:55 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Brian, you’re still the AC Rep of record for OpenJS Foundation as well as Igalia.  

Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 8:43 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I mean, I think it would be great if someone was going to attend... even if more than one of us attended.  Mike if you want to go, maybe I can also go as representing igalia


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Trying out the new openjsf AC standards list ...

I wonder if one of us should join this Zoom meeting with Jeff Jaffe next week?  I don’t have any particular topics to suggest.  But it would be an opportunity for OpenJS Foundation to “show the flag” at W3C: position ourselves as engaged stakeholders, and potentially build political capital for any future issues in which we do have a strong interest. For example, we could make sure the AC knows that the Foundation nominated and helps support Lea Verou on the TAG.

I suspect most of the things we care about are pretty “meta” — we want W3C to be a user-focused community that actively collaborates with open source projects and other standards organizations (such as TC 39) that are evolving the web platform.  Most of the things Jeff worries about are pretty concrete, especially generating enough revenue and transitioning to a non-profit corporation to support the existing staff without having to make hard / unpopular decisions about priorities and values.  Still it might be useful to listen in to get a “sense of the room” for what other members are saying and what the reaction is.  

What do others think?

Mike
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@...>
Date: Feb 3, 2021, 7:40 AM -0800
To: W3C Members <w3c-ac-forum@...>
Cc: Chairs <chairs@...>, ab <ab@...>, tag@..., W3C Evangelists <group-evangelists@...>, W3C Chapters <chapter-all@...>
Subject: Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,
Chairs, TAG, AB, Chapters, and Evangelists,


This is a reminder that W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe will hold the first series of AC Office Hours next week. This is not a "must-attend" replacement to our bi-annual AC meeting - but more of an opportunity for informal exchange of ideas.

While there will be no structured agenda for the first meeting, please, do not hesitate to send any questions or topics you wish to discuss, either on this mailing list or privately to <jeff@...>.


Summary of Jeff’s e-mail:

To partly address not having AC/TPAC in person meetings and hallway conversations with our Membership, Jeff Jaffe is creating an experimental new program called AC Office Hours: an open-line Zoom sessions, every second Tuesday of each month, during three hours to accommodate time zones, to meet with AC Reps (+Chairs, AB, TAG, Evangelists, Chapters) who are interested in talking about W3C and the web.

The first series will be 9 February (the third hour will actually be 10 February in Europe and Asia):
1400 UTC [1], 2100 UTC [2], and 0200 UTC [3] (next day).
[1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T09&p1=43&ah=1
[2] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T16&p1=43&ah=1
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T21&p1=43&ah=1

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://mit.zoom.us/j/98122336846?pwd=SGcxRXhxMFoxbElkUzFtZnFwREJIdz09
Password: OfficeHr
Meeting ID: 981 2233 6846
International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/ac0UExXLxs

For IRC we will meet in #ac <http://irc.w3.org/?channels=ac>.


We will begin this experimental program informally. There will be no structured agenda for the first meeting - it is an open line for W3C Management (W3M) and the Team to hear about your concerns or ideas for improvement at W3C. Several W3Mers will join the call depending on availability. Among items that we may discuss are your ideas to make the best usage of these calls.


Thank you,

Coralie Mercier
Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier - W3C Marketing & Communications - https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@... +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/



--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


Michael Champion
 

Yeah, I can probably attend using my “AB emeritus” credentials but then identify as representing the Foundation …. 

Jory, would you rather be Brian’s delegate for the Foundation?  I got into this assuming I’d be in the background, but I can be more visible if that’s what you’d prefer. 

But as I recall the plan from a couple months ago, we’d change the Foundation’s AC Representative to something like “OpenJS Standards” with standards-w3c-ac@... as the contact email, then any of us could jump in to represent the foundation as interest/expertise on a particular issue and time allowed … do I remember correctly?


Mike

On Feb 3, 2021, 10:04 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I know, I was suggesting that if you wanted to attend we could arrange that and I could still also go.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:55 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Brian, you’re still the AC Rep of record for OpenJS Foundation as well as Igalia.  

Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 8:43 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I mean, I think it would be great if someone was going to attend... even if more than one of us attended.  Mike if you want to go, maybe I can also go as representing igalia


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Trying out the new openjsf AC standards list ...

I wonder if one of us should join this Zoom meeting with Jeff Jaffe next week?  I don’t have any particular topics to suggest.  But it would be an opportunity for OpenJS Foundation to “show the flag” at W3C: position ourselves as engaged stakeholders, and potentially build political capital for any future issues in which we do have a strong interest. For example, we could make sure the AC knows that the Foundation nominated and helps support Lea Verou on the TAG.

I suspect most of the things we care about are pretty “meta” — we want W3C to be a user-focused community that actively collaborates with open source projects and other standards organizations (such as TC 39) that are evolving the web platform.  Most of the things Jeff worries about are pretty concrete, especially generating enough revenue and transitioning to a non-profit corporation to support the existing staff without having to make hard / unpopular decisions about priorities and values.  Still it might be useful to listen in to get a “sense of the room” for what other members are saying and what the reaction is.  

What do others think?

Mike
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@...>
Date: Feb 3, 2021, 7:40 AM -0800
To: W3C Members <w3c-ac-forum@...>
Cc: Chairs <chairs@...>, ab <ab@...>, tag@..., W3C Evangelists <group-evangelists@...>, W3C Chapters <chapter-all@...>
Subject: Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,
Chairs, TAG, AB, Chapters, and Evangelists,


This is a reminder that W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe will hold the first series of AC Office Hours next week. This is not a "must-attend" replacement to our bi-annual AC meeting - but more of an opportunity for informal exchange of ideas.

While there will be no structured agenda for the first meeting, please, do not hesitate to send any questions or topics you wish to discuss, either on this mailing list or privately to <jeff@...>.


Summary of Jeff’s e-mail:

To partly address not having AC/TPAC in person meetings and hallway conversations with our Membership, Jeff Jaffe is creating an experimental new program called AC Office Hours: an open-line Zoom sessions, every second Tuesday of each month, during three hours to accommodate time zones, to meet with AC Reps (+Chairs, AB, TAG, Evangelists, Chapters) who are interested in talking about W3C and the web.

The first series will be 9 February (the third hour will actually be 10 February in Europe and Asia):
1400 UTC [1], 2100 UTC [2], and 0200 UTC [3] (next day).
[1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T09&p1=43&ah=1
[2] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T16&p1=43&ah=1
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T21&p1=43&ah=1

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://mit.zoom.us/j/98122336846?pwd=SGcxRXhxMFoxbElkUzFtZnFwREJIdz09
Password: OfficeHr
Meeting ID: 981 2233 6846
International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/ac0UExXLxs

For IRC we will meet in #ac <http://irc.w3.org/?channels=ac>.


We will begin this experimental program informally. There will be no structured agenda for the first meeting - it is an open line for W3C Management (W3M) and the Team to hear about your concerns or ideas for improvement at W3C. Several W3Mers will join the call depending on availability. Among items that we may discuss are your ideas to make the best usage of these calls.


Thank you,

Coralie Mercier
Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier - W3C Marketing & Communications - https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@... +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/



--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


Robin Ginn
 

Thanks for flagging, Mike. Many good reasons for you folks to participate, as you noted.

Robin



On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 6:14 PM, Michael Champion michaelc.champion@... wrote:
Yeah, I can probably attend using my “AB emeritus” credentials but then identify as representing the Foundation …. 

Jory, would you rather be Brian’s delegate for the Foundation?  I got into this assuming I’d be in the background, but I can be more visible if that’s what you’d prefer. 

But as I recall the plan from a couple months ago, we’d change the Foundation’s AC Representative to something like “OpenJS Standards” with standards-w3c-ac@... as the contact email, then any of us could jump in to represent the foundation as interest/expertise on a particular issue and time allowed … do I remember correctly?


Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 10:04 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I know, I was suggesting that if you wanted to attend we could arrange that and I could still also go.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:55 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Brian, you’re still the AC Rep of record for OpenJS Foundation as well as Igalia.  

Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 8:43 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I mean, I think it would be great if someone was going to attend... even if more than one of us attended.  Mike if you want to go, maybe I can also go as representing igalia


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Trying out the new openjsf AC standards list ...

I wonder if one of us should join this Zoom meeting with Jeff Jaffe next week?  I don’t have any particular topics to suggest.  But it would be an opportunity for OpenJS Foundation to “show the flag” at W3C: position ourselves as engaged stakeholders, and potentially build political capital for any future issues in which we do have a strong interest. For example, we could make sure the AC knows that the Foundation nominated and helps support Lea Verou on the TAG.

I suspect most of the things we care about are pretty “meta” — we want W3C to be a user-focused community that actively collaborates with open source projects and other standards organizations (such as TC 39) that are evolving the web platform.  Most of the things Jeff worries about are pretty concrete, especially generating enough revenue and transitioning to a non-profit corporation to support the existing staff without having to make hard / unpopular decisions about priorities and values.  Still it might be useful to listen in to get a “sense of the room” for what other members are saying and what the reaction is.  

What do others think?

Mike
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@...>
Date: Feb 3, 2021, 7:40 AM -0800
To: W3C Members <w3c-ac-forum@...>
Cc: Chairs <chairs@...>, ab <ab@...>, tag@..., W3C Evangelists <group-evangelists@...>, W3C Chapters <chapter-all@...>
Subject: Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,
Chairs, TAG, AB, Chapters, and Evangelists,


This is a reminder that W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe will hold the first series of AC Office Hours next week. This is not a "must-attend" replacement to our bi-annual AC meeting - but more of an opportunity for informal exchange of ideas.

While there will be no structured agenda for the first meeting, please, do not hesitate to send any questions or topics you wish to discuss, either on this mailing list or privately to <jeff@...>.


Summary of Jeff’s e-mail:

To partly address not having AC/TPAC in person meetings and hallway conversations with our Membership, Jeff Jaffe is creating an experimental new program called AC Office Hours: an open-line Zoom sessions, every second Tuesday of each month, during three hours to accommodate time zones, to meet with AC Reps (+Chairs, AB, TAG, Evangelists, Chapters) who are interested in talking about W3C and the web.

The first series will be 9 February (the third hour will actually be 10 February in Europe and Asia):
1400 UTC [1], 2100 UTC [2], and 0200 UTC [3] (next day).
[1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T09&p1=43&ah=1
[2] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T16&p1=43&ah=1
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T21&p1=43&ah=1

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://mit.zoom.us/j/98122336846?pwd=SGcxRXhxMFoxbElkUzFtZnFwREJIdz09
Password: OfficeHr
Meeting ID: 981 2233 6846
International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/ac0UExXLxs

For IRC we will meet in #ac <http://irc.w3.org/?channels=ac>.


We will begin this experimental program informally. There will be no structured agenda for the first meeting - it is an open line for W3C Management (W3M) and the Team to hear about your concerns or ideas for improvement at W3C. Several W3Mers will join the call depending on availability. Among items that we may discuss are your ideas to make the best usage of these calls.


Thank you,

Coralie Mercier
Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier - W3C Marketing & Communications - https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@... +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/



--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


Robin Ginn
Executive Director, OpenJS Foundation
Mobile: 206.300.4385


Jory Burson
 

Might be interesting to get Jeff's perspective on our 6 standards wg "strategic options"...
I can do the first hour (9 a.m. EST) on 2/9


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 1:34 PM Robin Ginn <rginn@...> wrote:
Thanks for flagging, Mike. Many good reasons for you folks to participate, as you noted.

Robin



On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 6:14 PM, Michael Champion michaelc.champion@... wrote:
Yeah, I can probably attend using my “AB emeritus” credentials but then identify as representing the Foundation …. 

Jory, would you rather be Brian’s delegate for the Foundation?  I got into this assuming I’d be in the background, but I can be more visible if that’s what you’d prefer. 

But as I recall the plan from a couple months ago, we’d change the Foundation’s AC Representative to something like “OpenJS Standards” with standards-w3c-ac@... as the contact email, then any of us could jump in to represent the foundation as interest/expertise on a particular issue and time allowed … do I remember correctly?


Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 10:04 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I know, I was suggesting that if you wanted to attend we could arrange that and I could still also go.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:55 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Brian, you’re still the AC Rep of record for OpenJS Foundation as well as Igalia.  

Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 8:43 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I mean, I think it would be great if someone was going to attend... even if more than one of us attended.  Mike if you want to go, maybe I can also go as representing igalia


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Trying out the new openjsf AC standards list ...

I wonder if one of us should join this Zoom meeting with Jeff Jaffe next week?  I don’t have any particular topics to suggest.  But it would be an opportunity for OpenJS Foundation to “show the flag” at W3C: position ourselves as engaged stakeholders, and potentially build political capital for any future issues in which we do have a strong interest. For example, we could make sure the AC knows that the Foundation nominated and helps support Lea Verou on the TAG.

I suspect most of the things we care about are pretty “meta” — we want W3C to be a user-focused community that actively collaborates with open source projects and other standards organizations (such as TC 39) that are evolving the web platform.  Most of the things Jeff worries about are pretty concrete, especially generating enough revenue and transitioning to a non-profit corporation to support the existing staff without having to make hard / unpopular decisions about priorities and values.  Still it might be useful to listen in to get a “sense of the room” for what other members are saying and what the reaction is.  

What do others think?

Mike
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@...>
Date: Feb 3, 2021, 7:40 AM -0800
To: W3C Members <w3c-ac-forum@...>
Cc: Chairs <chairs@...>, ab <ab@...>, tag@..., W3C Evangelists <group-evangelists@...>, W3C Chapters <chapter-all@...>
Subject: Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,
Chairs, TAG, AB, Chapters, and Evangelists,


This is a reminder that W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe will hold the first series of AC Office Hours next week. This is not a "must-attend" replacement to our bi-annual AC meeting - but more of an opportunity for informal exchange of ideas.

While there will be no structured agenda for the first meeting, please, do not hesitate to send any questions or topics you wish to discuss, either on this mailing list or privately to <jeff@...>.


Summary of Jeff’s e-mail:

To partly address not having AC/TPAC in person meetings and hallway conversations with our Membership, Jeff Jaffe is creating an experimental new program called AC Office Hours: an open-line Zoom sessions, every second Tuesday of each month, during three hours to accommodate time zones, to meet with AC Reps (+Chairs, AB, TAG, Evangelists, Chapters) who are interested in talking about W3C and the web.

The first series will be 9 February (the third hour will actually be 10 February in Europe and Asia):
1400 UTC [1], 2100 UTC [2], and 0200 UTC [3] (next day).
[1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T09&p1=43&ah=1
[2] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T16&p1=43&ah=1
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T21&p1=43&ah=1

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://mit.zoom.us/j/98122336846?pwd=SGcxRXhxMFoxbElkUzFtZnFwREJIdz09
Password: OfficeHr
Meeting ID: 981 2233 6846
International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/ac0UExXLxs

For IRC we will meet in #ac <http://irc.w3.org/?channels=ac>.


We will begin this experimental program informally. There will be no structured agenda for the first meeting - it is an open line for W3C Management (W3M) and the Team to hear about your concerns or ideas for improvement at W3C. Several W3Mers will join the call depending on availability. Among items that we may discuss are your ideas to make the best usage of these calls.


Thank you,

Coralie Mercier
Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier - W3C Marketing & Communications - https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@... +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/



--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


Robin Ginn
Executive Director, OpenJS Foundation
Mobile: 206.300.4385




Michael Champion
 

Sounds great!  6am is a bit early for me …. I might listen in on another session, or get up early to listen in if both Jory and Brian are going to be on that one.

Am I correct that the 6 strategic directions  (from the 2020/12/01 call) are:

1. OpenJS Foundation is a place to develop standards proposals / workstreams which are being missed by the bigger SDOs - "Fill the Cracks"
2. OpenJS Foundation is a place where the JS Community convenes to build & develop opinions for different proposals which are active in an SDO
3. OpenJS Foundation is a place for discovery of "standard stacks" e.g. we do analysis of our projects to present common pathways / approaches
 - "Does anyone else; or is it just me" type process or forum (we could expand on this from an educational perspective and post blogs "Are you experiencing X, you might be entitled to compensation etc")
4. OpenJS Foundation is a place where projects with standards-related goals (AMP, Node) receive support for their work, and where folks in those project groups cross-collaborate
5. OpenJS Foundation is a place where people can learn and begin to onboard into standards development
 - Including programs to support and mentor people to become (chairs, editors, note-takers, etc)
 - Hub for materials around presenting on certain standards proposals / issues - create(ing) ambassadors
 - Hub for getting involved with other educational works (e.g. Standards in 2 minutes)
6. OpenJS Foundation helps make standards bodies nicer places to do work (no jerks!)
 - "what can the openjs foundation do to make standards development "NICER" in 2021"

The ones I can most easily see Jeff having useful input on are 4, 5, and 6.  
  • AMP and Node are pretty relevant to the de facto web platform, and there is AMP-like work happening at W3C IIRC.
  • Having common information sources across SDOs and OSS projects seems like a good idea; the recent Google/Microsoft/W3C/Igalia/etc.  announcement on Open Web Docs might be relevant to our communities https://web.dev/open-web-docs/
  • Having consistent “no jerks” policies across SDOs and OSS projects makes a lot of sense ...
Any thoughts on what Jeff might contribute to 1, 2, 3?  Maybe on #1, his thoughts on where the “cracks” are would be useful ...

Another issue might be finding a more systematic way to fund participation of what W3C calls “invited experts” in web standards work.    The W3C AB has struggled with this for years, but it’s tangled up in a) W3M’s desire to keep their staff paid before worrying about invited experts, and b) some members’ distaste for using their dues to fund people whose employers don’t pay dues (the Chinese members in particular complain about this, AFAIK because “free riding” is a problem in their national standards/OSS communities).  We help fund Lea on the TAG (well, we will if international travel to meetings becomes a real thing again), but that was improvised. In a saner world, there might be a pool of funds from various bodies and clear criteria for who decides who gets support.  Starting a conversation about whether that’s desirable or possible might be useful. To be honest, I like the idea of OpenJS Foundation being able to make such funding decisions on an ad hoc basis depending on who needs support, what their agenda is, and what our budget looks like.  Nevertheless  there’s  something to be said for transparency and consistency in this age of escalating mistrust, the specter of antitrust litigation / legislation that might affect our communities, and our strategic goal of being neutral / staying out of the political BS as much as possible.

Mike

On Feb 3, 2021, 12:38 PM -0800, Jory Burson <jory@...>, wrote:
Might be interesting to get Jeff's perspective on our 6 standards wg "strategic options"...
I can do the first hour (9 a.m. EST) on 2/9


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 1:34 PM Robin Ginn <rginn@...> wrote:
Thanks for flagging, Mike. Many good reasons for you folks to participate, as you noted.

Robin



On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 6:14 PM, Michael Champion michaelc.champion@... wrote:
Yeah, I can probably attend using my “AB emeritus” credentials but then identify as representing the Foundation …. 

Jory, would you rather be Brian’s delegate for the Foundation?  I got into this assuming I’d be in the background, but I can be more visible if that’s what you’d prefer. 

But as I recall the plan from a couple months ago, we’d change the Foundation’s AC Representative to something like “OpenJS Standards” with standards-w3c-ac@... as the contact email, then any of us could jump in to represent the foundation as interest/expertise on a particular issue and time allowed … do I remember correctly?


Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 10:04 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I know, I was suggesting that if you wanted to attend we could arrange that and I could still also go.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:55 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Brian, you’re still the AC Rep of record for OpenJS Foundation as well as Igalia.  

Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 8:43 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I mean, I think it would be great if someone was going to attend... even if more than one of us attended.  Mike if you want to go, maybe I can also go as representing igalia


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Trying out the new openjsf AC standards list ...

I wonder if one of us should join this Zoom meeting with Jeff Jaffe next week?  I don’t have any particular topics to suggest.  But it would be an opportunity for OpenJS Foundation to “show the flag” at W3C: position ourselves as engaged stakeholders, and potentially build political capital for any future issues in which we do have a strong interest. For example, we could make sure the AC knows that the Foundation nominated and helps support Lea Verou on the TAG.

I suspect most of the things we care about are pretty “meta” — we want W3C to be a user-focused community that actively collaborates with open source projects and other standards organizations (such as TC 39) that are evolving the web platform.  Most of the things Jeff worries about are pretty concrete, especially generating enough revenue and 
transitioning to a non-profit corporation to support the existing staff without having to make hard / unpopular decisions about priorities and values.  Still it might be useful to listen in to get a “sense of the room” for what other members are saying and what the reaction is.  

What do others think?

Mike---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@...>
Date: Feb 3, 2021, 7:40 AM -0800
To: W3C Members <w3c-ac-forum@...>
Cc: Chairs <chairs@...>, ab <ab@...>, tag@..., W3C Evangelists <group-evangelists@...>, W3C Chapters <chapter-all@...>
Subject: Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,
Chairs, TAG, AB, Chapters, and Evangelists,


This is a reminder that W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe will hold the first series of AC Office Hours next week. This is not a "must-attend" replacement to our bi-annual AC meeting - but more of an opportunity for informal exchange of ideas.

While there will be no structured agenda for the first meeting, please, do not hesitate to send any questions or topics you wish to discuss, either on this mailing list or privately to <jeff@...>.


Summary of Jeff’s e-mail:

To partly address not having AC/TPAC in person meetings and hallway conversations with our Membership, Jeff Jaffe is creating an experimental new program called AC Office Hours: an open-line Zoom sessions, every second Tuesday of each month, during three hours to accommodate time zones, to meet with AC Reps (+Chairs, AB, TAG, Evangelists, Chapters) who are interested in talking about W3C and the web.

The first series will be 9 February (the third hour will actually be 10 February in Europe and Asia):
1400 UTC [1], 2100 UTC [2], and 0200 UTC [3] (next day).
[1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T09&p1=43&ah=1
[2] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T16&p1=43&ah=1
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T21&p1=43&ah=1

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://mit.zoom.us/j/98122336846?pwd=SGcxRXhxMFoxbElkUzFtZnFwREJIdz09
Password: OfficeHr
Meeting ID: 981 2233 6846
International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/ac0UExXLxs

For IRC we will meet in #ac <http://irc.w3.org/?channels=ac>.


We will begin this experimental program informally. There will be no structured agenda for the first meeting - it is an open line for W3C Management (W3M) and the Team to hear about your concerns or ideas for improvement at W3C. Several W3Mers will join the call depending on availability. Among items that we may discuss are your ideas to make the best usage of these calls.


Thank you,

Coralie Mercier
Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier - W3C Marketing & Communications - https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@... +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/



--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


Robin Ginn
Executive Director, OpenJS Foundation
Mobile: 206.300.4385



--


Brian Kardell
 

Yes that was the plan, I can try to remember to change it tomorrow.


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021, 1:14 PM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Yeah, I can probably attend using my “AB emeritus” credentials but then identify as representing the Foundation …. 

Jory, would you rather be Brian’s delegate for the Foundation?  I got into this assuming I’d be in the background, but I can be more visible if that’s what you’d prefer. 

But as I recall the plan from a couple months ago, we’d change the Foundation’s AC Representative to something like “OpenJS Standards” with standards-w3c-ac@... as the contact email, then any of us could jump in to represent the foundation as interest/expertise on a particular issue and time allowed … do I remember correctly?


Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 10:04 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I know, I was suggesting that if you wanted to attend we could arrange that and I could still also go.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:55 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Brian, you’re still the AC Rep of record for OpenJS Foundation as well as Igalia.  

Mike
On Feb 3, 2021, 8:43 AM -0800, Brian Kardell <bkardell@...>, wrote:
I mean, I think it would be great if someone was going to attend... even if more than one of us attended.  Mike if you want to go, maybe I can also go as representing igalia


On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@...> wrote:
Trying out the new openjsf AC standards list ...

I wonder if one of us should join this Zoom meeting with Jeff Jaffe next week?  I don’t have any particular topics to suggest.  But it would be an opportunity for OpenJS Foundation to “show the flag” at W3C: position ourselves as engaged stakeholders, and potentially build political capital for any future issues in which we do have a strong interest. For example, we could make sure the AC knows that the Foundation nominated and helps support Lea Verou on the TAG.

I suspect most of the things we care about are pretty “meta” — we want W3C to be a user-focused community that actively collaborates with open source projects and other standards organizations (such as TC 39) that are evolving the web platform.  Most of the things Jeff worries about are pretty concrete, especially generating enough revenue and transitioning to a non-profit corporation to support the existing staff without having to make hard / unpopular decisions about priorities and values.  Still it might be useful to listen in to get a “sense of the room” for what other members are saying and what the reaction is.  

What do others think?

Mike
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@...>
Date: Feb 3, 2021, 7:40 AM -0800
To: W3C Members <w3c-ac-forum@...>
Cc: Chairs <chairs@...>, ab <ab@...>, tag@..., W3C Evangelists <group-evangelists@...>, W3C Chapters <chapter-all@...>
Subject: Reminder: AC Office Hours, 9/10 February 2021

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,
Chairs, TAG, AB, Chapters, and Evangelists,


This is a reminder that W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe will hold the first series of AC Office Hours next week. This is not a "must-attend" replacement to our bi-annual AC meeting - but more of an opportunity for informal exchange of ideas.

While there will be no structured agenda for the first meeting, please, do not hesitate to send any questions or topics you wish to discuss, either on this mailing list or privately to <jeff@...>.


Summary of Jeff’s e-mail:

To partly address not having AC/TPAC in person meetings and hallway conversations with our Membership, Jeff Jaffe is creating an experimental new program called AC Office Hours: an open-line Zoom sessions, every second Tuesday of each month, during three hours to accommodate time zones, to meet with AC Reps (+Chairs, AB, TAG, Evangelists, Chapters) who are interested in talking about W3C and the web.

The first series will be 9 February (the third hour will actually be 10 February in Europe and Asia):
1400 UTC [1], 2100 UTC [2], and 0200 UTC [3] (next day).
[1] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T09&p1=43&ah=1
[2] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T16&p1=43&ah=1
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=AC%2FChair+Office+Hours&iso=20210209T21&p1=43&ah=1

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://mit.zoom.us/j/98122336846?pwd=SGcxRXhxMFoxbElkUzFtZnFwREJIdz09
Password: OfficeHr
Meeting ID: 981 2233 6846
International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/ac0UExXLxs

For IRC we will meet in #ac <http://irc.w3.org/?channels=ac>.


We will begin this experimental program informally. There will be no structured agenda for the first meeting - it is an open line for W3C Management (W3M) and the Team to hear about your concerns or ideas for improvement at W3C. Several W3Mers will join the call depending on availability. Among items that we may discuss are your ideas to make the best usage of these calls.


Thank you,

Coralie Mercier
Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

--
Coralie Mercier - W3C Marketing & Communications - https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@... +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/



--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com