Topics

W3C News and Stuff

Brian Kardell

Two bits of news...

First, there's and upcoming CSS Working Group face to face in January which I will be attending (hosted by Igalia) .  If any of our projects have asks or concerns that they would like to discuss or represent, please let bring it to my awareness...  I guess these can be discussed more in https://github.com/openjs-foundation/standards

Second, there is currently a Technical Architecture Group Election taking place.  If you're unfamiliar with what this means, have no fear, I wrote this very brief (~400 words)  W3C Primer for Busy People.  We have a vote, and we need to decide how to cast it.  If you also work for a W3C member organization, please encourage your AC to vote as well - historically, turnout is very low and it really matters.  Unfortunately it's just as simple as choosing who we vote for, but also how as it is an STV ranked voting system.

There are 3 open seats, 3 incumbents and one new challenger.  I encourage you to read all of their statements for yourself if you have the time.  Rather than spend more words here, less someone asks me to explain why, my inclination - if it were entirely up to me, would be to vote:

1. Rossen
2. David
3. Kenneth
- no other preference.

In practice, I think my actual view for the one and two spot are actually the other way round, however, I believe that most people will vote the other way round and this voting system is most likely to betray one of two 'mainstream' candidates who are close.  I can say more on that if needed, but mostly I'd like to hear others thoughts.

--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com

Kris Borchers

Thank you for these updates Brian!

For the TAG election I agree both with your selections as well as your reasoning for the order in which you place them. My one request would be that if you have the time, it may be prudent to try to survey those willing to share their vote intentions with you and perhaps coordinate the order in which people vote for them. Especially between Rossen and David. Your logic to place David second with the assumption that many will vote him in the #1 slot makes sense but I would hate for everyone to have that same thought and place him second and potentially undermine that effort to diversify those votes and then open the door to the strange workings of STV to make a mess of things. I may also be overthinking it but from experience, I am just not a fan of that current STV implementation.

Kris

[...]

Just re-pinging the list here to see if anyone else has thoughts/opinions...?

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 2:14 PM <kris.borchers@...> wrote:

[...]

Dylan Schiemann

Brian,

Apologies for not commenting earlier. I think your approach to how to vote on this, and your personal preferences, align exactly with what I would suggest.

I understand Kris' noted concern as well, but I'd still go with your suggested order.

-Dylan

On 1/2/20 07:41, Brian Kardell wrote:
[...]

SitePen
Dylan Schiemann
CEO / SitePen
+1.650.968.8787 x112
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Myles Borins

Quick question. The Standards group is in the process of trying to get chartered to oversee this type of work. In future if they were chartered I believe this would make sense to be discussed within that working group.

Should we spin up a private standards mailing list for discussions like this?

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 9:46 AM Dylan Schiemann <dylan@...> wrote:
[...]

I am fine with that, I would have brought it up there too in a meeting or something there if there had been any/that I had been able to attend since but since this is where we are right now, I thought this was the most expedient/appropriate place.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 12:38 PM Myles Borins <mylesborins@...> wrote:
[...]

100%

To be clear, I think this is a very reasonable and appropriate place to hold the discussion at the moment, apologies if my comment derailed.