Topics

08.20 News You Can Use & CPC Updates


Jory Burson
 

OpenJS Foundation Logo

News You Can Use Letter

There are a lot of programs and initiatives the Foundation and CPC have been making progress on this summer. From certifications to surveys, mentorship, individual supporter programs, project infrastructure updates and more, there's plenty to get involved with if you're keen to lend a hand. Say hello in Slack or chime in on a GitHub thread to start contributing!

@jorydotcom


Upcoming Events &

Meeting Reminders

subscribe to our public calendar
  • Friday, August 21 @ 6 p.m. UTC - OpenJS Foundation Public Board Meeting
  • Tuesday, August 25 @ 4 p.m. UTC - Cross Project Council Meeting
  • Tuesday, August 25 @ 6 p.m. UTC - Standards Working Group Meeting
  • Thursday, August 27 @ 5 p.m. UTC - OpenJS Foundation Office Hours

Announcements & FYIs


🌠 Ajv.js is the Foundation's newest Incubating Project! The OpenJS Foundation Cross Project Council is thrilled to welcome Ajv.js to the fold. A JSON Schema validation tool used by millions of devs and projects, project maintainer Evgeny Poberezkin hopes to connect with more contributors and grow the maintainer group as an OpenJS Foundation project. Read all about it here.  


👋 Welcome New End User and Silver Board Members! The Board of Directors has completed its election and announced two new members. Representing End Users, Guilherme Hermetofrom Netflix joins the board along with Myles Borins, representing Silver Members on behalf of GitHub. Congrats and welcome to our newest board reps!


🎩 Happy Top-Level-Await Day - In case you missed it, Top Level Await has been unflagged (it's no longer an experimental feature) in the freshly-released Node v.14.8. We join our colleagues in the Node community in celebrating this accomplishment, particularly given that TLA is a new language feature brought to the spec from an open source contribution. Congratulations, ya'll!!


🖥 Take the Node User Survey - How to handle Promise rejections - The Node TSC is removing a deprecation warning about unhandled promises, and wants to know what the community would prefer to see. Take the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FTJM7YD and let them know what you think!


🎥 In case you missed it - AMA with the Node Certification team -  Last week's AMA was all about the Certification program and new training materials for folks looking to take the test. If you are curious about the certification program, give it a watch!



CPC Meeting Notes & Recap

Meeting Notes Recording GitHub Issue
  • We started with issue #617, Fastify Charter Review. Fastify is nearing the end of its incubation period and will be ready for graduation soon. CPC members are encouraged to review and +1 their charter.
  • Nominations Open: Community Board Seat for OpenJS Foundation Board of Directors (#616) was updated - there were 5 nominations, which are now closed and voting is open through Friday.
  •  On Next Steps for Supporter Program (#607), Sara reported back on the brainstorming meeting that was held last Friday. She is compiling notes from that session into a pull request this week, and is keen to get broader feedback on the group's (exciting) suggestions.

  • On issue, #592, Develop annual review process for projects, Chris Hiller and Tobie Langel have volunteered to move this forward based on the next steps we identified in previous meetings.

  • On #547, Governance changes for Collaboration Network, there was some discussion about the suggestion for a default license for these projects. Eemeli encouraged us to allow different licenses than the default but require an explanation as to why. Tierney suggested using MIT as that is what much of the ecosystem uses. Conversation continues on the PR.

  • On Add Foundation-wide copyright guidance, #414, Eemeli pointed out that the language refers to the “project” as opposed to the foundation. Brian has the AI to see if we can make that change, or if there are other implications.

  • Lastly, on issue #599, We should try an earlier CPC meeting time, there was some general discussion around times and goals about meeting times. Joe will update the issue with a proposal to alternate an early time with the later time, and Eemeli will create an issue asking for input from folks who want to contribute but have difficulty with current meeting times.