Topics

01.08 News You Can Use & CPC Updates


Jory Burson
 

🌞 Happy Solar New Year 🌞

ready for another trip around the sun i sure am


📟 Announcements & FYIs

  • ICYMI, we had an AMA with the Modules WG this morning. AMAs are casual video conversations held with different community members, groups, or projects. Check out today’s session here, and if you want to propose one of your own (or for someone else to do) let us know!

  • Did you attend the Node + JS Interactive Conference & Collab Summit via the Travel Fund? Please turn your expenses in for reimbursement ASAP. If you have any questions about what you need to do or how these are processed please ask Brian Warner for assistance. 

  • Heads up - we created a new CPC channel in Slack! Join in if you want to keep tabs on different CPC issues, ask questions, or get involved. All are welcome!

  • A reminder that the next OpenJS Foundation conference and Collab Summit has been announced, June 23-24 in Austin, Texas. This is a quick turnaround for our next event, but it allows us to take advantage of co-locating with Open Source Summit North America. Please mark your calendars! The CFP and Official Name will be announced soon!

  • If you just can’t wait, check out the videos from Montreal’s event. Share your favorite talks, and certainly think about what talks you would want to hear in June… 

  • FYI: The Board anticipates announcing 2 new member companies to the OpenJSF Foundation very soon. Keep your eyes out for that announcement - we’re excited to welcome them to the fold!

  • Do you have a release or other exciting project announcement? Let us know! The absolute easiest way is to ping @Rachel Romoff in Slack - either a DM or a note in the #pr-marketing channel. We’d love to help you get the word out!

🗒CPC Meeting Notes / Recap

Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue


  • We started with a discussion issue (#424), the WebdriverIO project charter. As the issue had been opened for the required number of days and there were no objections, this was approved and the issue was closed.

  • Term of CPC Directors (#334) is an older issue; it was noted that really the only thing blocking it was agreement on when those terms should end. After some discussion about what was ‘standard’ for these kinds of things in other boards, and whether we should factor in the yet-to-be-activated Individual Member Board seat, we agreed to set July 1 as the date for new CPC Directors. Michael will open an issue and create a PR to update the governance.
    The Individual Member Program was discussed as a tangential issue, with everyone seeming to agree that the program needs some heavy lifting and prioritization if the CPC and Board want to see it happen in 2020. 

  • Tobie refreshed everyone about issue #414, which refers to a pull request that adds Foundation-wide copyright guidance. The goal is to make this documentation more of a guide than legal reading, and Tobie will be updating the issue with clearer next steps.

  • PR #413, which inlines a copy of the Contributor Covenant CoC text, was again discussed. While there are disagreements with the inlining approach, those who disagree do not formally object with the majority so the agreement to inline will stand. The group also confirmed their commitment to spinning up a CoC Working Group (#432) to tackle detailed policy issues such as: 

    • Where the Canonical CoC Lives

    • How projects refer to that CoC

    • Reporting & Moderation

    • How project moderation / CoC teams collaborate on this policy

    • How the project handles infractions across multiple projects or in shared spaces

    • Forming the initial CoC panel

  • #405, which adds a proposal for charter submission & review per #200, has some outstanding administrative action items before it can be merged & closed.

  • #400, Point of contact for onboarding, has an open PR from Mike Samuel (#422). We are awaiting some additional approvals but anticipate closing this soon. 

  • Christian updated us about his progress on #377, Clarify Travel Fund status & process. There were some open questions about supporting applicants in need of a Visa, which Brian took. It was agreed that we need to be careful not to make promises of Visa support because we can’t guarantee anything. Michael reiterated that the critical issue was making sure it is clear how one applies, without changing the process. 

  • Michael updated us on #326, an issue about responsible security disclosures. The Node Package Maintenance WG, who are helping us to base our approach off of theirs, has landed its guidance. As a next step, they will be extrapolating that guidance for other OpenJS projects.

  • We closed the meeting 10 minutes early to discuss feedback on the new name for the Foundation’s conference (formerly Node + JS Interactive)

  • We ran out of time to discuss these issues:

    • #411 Kicking off an OpenJS Foundation Project Landscape

    • #436 Post Graduation Checklist

    • #379 Move CoC Proposal to Stage 3 (will likely be transferred to the the new CoC WG set out in #432)

    • #115 Post Bootstrap Work to be Managed by the CPC

    • #31 (onboarding) Communication Channel between the CPC and AMP Infra WG

    • #30 (onboarding) Checklist Deadline for Collab Summit Graduation

 📅 Next CPC meeting is: Tuesday, January 14th @ 15:00 UTC

📅 Next Standards WG meeting is: Tuesday, January 14th @ 17:00 UTC

 

See anything missing? Let me know!

XO, Jory 2020



Brian Kardell
 

Just wanted to say thanks for writing these Jory, I'm frequently too busy to follow some things and these always help me quick scan catch up a bit - they are so great!


On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 12:24 PM Jory Burson <jory@...> wrote:

🌞 Happy Solar New Year 🌞

ready for another trip around the sun i sure am


📟 Announcements & FYIs

  • ICYMI, we had an AMA with the Modules WG this morning. AMAs are casual video conversations held with different community members, groups, or projects. Check out today’s session here, and if you want to propose one of your own (or for someone else to do) let us know!

  • Did you attend the Node + JS Interactive Conference & Collab Summit via the Travel Fund? Please turn your expenses in for reimbursement ASAP. If you have any questions about what you need to do or how these are processed please ask Brian Warner for assistance. 

  • Heads up - we created a new CPC channel in Slack! Join in if you want to keep tabs on different CPC issues, ask questions, or get involved. All are welcome!

  • A reminder that the next OpenJS Foundation conference and Collab Summit has been announced, June 23-24 in Austin, Texas. This is a quick turnaround for our next event, but it allows us to take advantage of co-locating with Open Source Summit North America. Please mark your calendars! The CFP and Official Name will be announced soon!

  • If you just can’t wait, check out the videos from Montreal’s event. Share your favorite talks, and certainly think about what talks you would want to hear in June… 

  • FYI: The Board anticipates announcing 2 new member companies to the OpenJSF Foundation very soon. Keep your eyes out for that announcement - we’re excited to welcome them to the fold!

  • Do you have a release or other exciting project announcement? Let us know! The absolute easiest way is to ping @Rachel Romoff in Slack - either a DM or a note in the #pr-marketing channel. We’d love to help you get the word out!

🗒CPC Meeting Notes / Recap

Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue


  • We started with a discussion issue (#424), the WebdriverIO project charter. As the issue had been opened for the required number of days and there were no objections, this was approved and the issue was closed.

  • Term of CPC Directors (#334) is an older issue; it was noted that really the only thing blocking it was agreement on when those terms should end. After some discussion about what was ‘standard’ for these kinds of things in other boards, and whether we should factor in the yet-to-be-activated Individual Member Board seat, we agreed to set July 1 as the date for new CPC Directors. Michael will open an issue and create a PR to update the governance.
    The Individual Member Program was discussed as a tangential issue, with everyone seeming to agree that the program needs some heavy lifting and prioritization if the CPC and Board want to see it happen in 2020. 

  • Tobie refreshed everyone about issue #414, which refers to a pull request that adds Foundation-wide copyright guidance. The goal is to make this documentation more of a guide than legal reading, and Tobie will be updating the issue with clearer next steps.

  • PR #413, which inlines a copy of the Contributor Covenant CoC text, was again discussed. While there are disagreements with the inlining approach, those who disagree do not formally object with the majority so the agreement to inline will stand. The group also confirmed their commitment to spinning up a CoC Working Group (#432) to tackle detailed policy issues such as: 

    • Where the Canonical CoC Lives

    • How projects refer to that CoC

    • Reporting & Moderation

    • How project moderation / CoC teams collaborate on this policy

    • How the project handles infractions across multiple projects or in shared spaces

    • Forming the initial CoC panel

  • #405, which adds a proposal for charter submission & review per #200, has some outstanding administrative action items before it can be merged & closed.

  • #400, Point of contact for onboarding, has an open PR from Mike Samuel (#422). We are awaiting some additional approvals but anticipate closing this soon. 

  • Christian updated us about his progress on #377, Clarify Travel Fund status & process. There were some open questions about supporting applicants in need of a Visa, which Brian took. It was agreed that we need to be careful not to make promises of Visa support because we can’t guarantee anything. Michael reiterated that the critical issue was making sure it is clear how one applies, without changing the process. 

  • Michael updated us on #326, an issue about responsible security disclosures. The Node Package Maintenance WG, who are helping us to base our approach off of theirs, has landed its guidance. As a next step, they will be extrapolating that guidance for other OpenJS projects.

  • We closed the meeting 10 minutes early to discuss feedback on the new name for the Foundation’s conference (formerly Node + JS Interactive)

  • We ran out of time to discuss these issues:

    • #411 Kicking off an OpenJS Foundation Project Landscape

    • #436 Post Graduation Checklist

    • #379 Move CoC Proposal to Stage 3 (will likely be transferred to the the new CoC WG set out in #432)

    • #115 Post Bootstrap Work to be Managed by the CPC

    • #31 (onboarding) Communication Channel between the CPC and AMP Infra WG

    • #30 (onboarding) Checklist Deadline for Collab Summit Graduation

 📅 Next CPC meeting is: Tuesday, January 14th @ 15:00 UTC

📅 Next Standards WG meeting is: Tuesday, January 14th @ 17:00 UTC

 

See anything missing? Let me know!

XO, Jory 2020




--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com


Jory Burson
 

You're very welcome! 


On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 3:18 PM Brian Kardell <bkardell@...> wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for writing these Jory, I'm frequently too busy to follow some things and these always help me quick scan catch up a bit - they are so great!

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 12:24 PM Jory Burson <jory@...> wrote:

🌞 Happy Solar New Year 🌞

ready for another trip around the sun i sure am


📟 Announcements & FYIs

  • ICYMI, we had an AMA with the Modules WG this morning. AMAs are casual video conversations held with different community members, groups, or projects. Check out today’s session here, and if you want to propose one of your own (or for someone else to do) let us know!

  • Did you attend the Node + JS Interactive Conference & Collab Summit via the Travel Fund? Please turn your expenses in for reimbursement ASAP. If you have any questions about what you need to do or how these are processed please ask Brian Warner for assistance. 

  • Heads up - we created a new CPC channel in Slack! Join in if you want to keep tabs on different CPC issues, ask questions, or get involved. All are welcome!

  • A reminder that the next OpenJS Foundation conference and Collab Summit has been announced, June 23-24 in Austin, Texas. This is a quick turnaround for our next event, but it allows us to take advantage of co-locating with Open Source Summit North America. Please mark your calendars! The CFP and Official Name will be announced soon!

  • If you just can’t wait, check out the videos from Montreal’s event. Share your favorite talks, and certainly think about what talks you would want to hear in June… 

  • FYI: The Board anticipates announcing 2 new member companies to the OpenJSF Foundation very soon. Keep your eyes out for that announcement - we’re excited to welcome them to the fold!

  • Do you have a release or other exciting project announcement? Let us know! The absolute easiest way is to ping @Rachel Romoff in Slack - either a DM or a note in the #pr-marketing channel. We’d love to help you get the word out!

🗒CPC Meeting Notes / Recap

Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue


  • We started with a discussion issue (#424), the WebdriverIO project charter. As the issue had been opened for the required number of days and there were no objections, this was approved and the issue was closed.

  • Term of CPC Directors (#334) is an older issue; it was noted that really the only thing blocking it was agreement on when those terms should end. After some discussion about what was ‘standard’ for these kinds of things in other boards, and whether we should factor in the yet-to-be-activated Individual Member Board seat, we agreed to set July 1 as the date for new CPC Directors. Michael will open an issue and create a PR to update the governance.
    The Individual Member Program was discussed as a tangential issue, with everyone seeming to agree that the program needs some heavy lifting and prioritization if the CPC and Board want to see it happen in 2020. 

  • Tobie refreshed everyone about issue #414, which refers to a pull request that adds Foundation-wide copyright guidance. The goal is to make this documentation more of a guide than legal reading, and Tobie will be updating the issue with clearer next steps.

  • PR #413, which inlines a copy of the Contributor Covenant CoC text, was again discussed. While there are disagreements with the inlining approach, those who disagree do not formally object with the majority so the agreement to inline will stand. The group also confirmed their commitment to spinning up a CoC Working Group (#432) to tackle detailed policy issues such as: 

    • Where the Canonical CoC Lives

    • How projects refer to that CoC

    • Reporting & Moderation

    • How project moderation / CoC teams collaborate on this policy

    • How the project handles infractions across multiple projects or in shared spaces

    • Forming the initial CoC panel

  • #405, which adds a proposal for charter submission & review per #200, has some outstanding administrative action items before it can be merged & closed.

  • #400, Point of contact for onboarding, has an open PR from Mike Samuel (#422). We are awaiting some additional approvals but anticipate closing this soon. 

  • Christian updated us about his progress on #377, Clarify Travel Fund status & process. There were some open questions about supporting applicants in need of a Visa, which Brian took. It was agreed that we need to be careful not to make promises of Visa support because we can’t guarantee anything. Michael reiterated that the critical issue was making sure it is clear how one applies, without changing the process. 

  • Michael updated us on #326, an issue about responsible security disclosures. The Node Package Maintenance WG, who are helping us to base our approach off of theirs, has landed its guidance. As a next step, they will be extrapolating that guidance for other OpenJS projects.

  • We closed the meeting 10 minutes early to discuss feedback on the new name for the Foundation’s conference (formerly Node + JS Interactive)

  • We ran out of time to discuss these issues:

    • #411 Kicking off an OpenJS Foundation Project Landscape

    • #436 Post Graduation Checklist

    • #379 Move CoC Proposal to Stage 3 (will likely be transferred to the the new CoC WG set out in #432)

    • #115 Post Bootstrap Work to be Managed by the CPC

    • #31 (onboarding) Communication Channel between the CPC and AMP Infra WG

    • #30 (onboarding) Checklist Deadline for Collab Summit Graduation

 📅 Next CPC meeting is: Tuesday, January 14th @ 15:00 UTC

📅 Next Standards WG meeting is: Tuesday, January 14th @ 17:00 UTC

 

See anything missing? Let me know!

XO, Jory 2020




--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: bkardell.com