Date   

Your Community Board Representative - reaching out for ideas

Michael Dawson
 

I was just elected as the OpenJS Community Board representative last month. For the previous year I'd served as the Node.js board representative which was in place as a 1 year transition step.

My participation in the Node.js project makes it easy for me to represent the concerns of the Node.js project and provide updates on what's going on at the board level.

I'm thinking about how to best extend that to the larger community of projects within the OpenJS Foundation and want to get your thoughts on what would be useful.  The areas to cover include:

- taking concerns/issue to the board on behalf of projects
- providing updates on what's going on at the board level.

Some of this should already be happening through your Cross Project Council representatives but I wanted to see if any of the following or other might be useful:

- me coming to some project meetings (for example the equivalent of the Node.js TSC and CommComm meetings)
- a regular interlock of some sort to discuss the above issues
- a regular email asking if there are any concerns/issues I should be bringing up
- something else ?

Michael


08.20 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

OpenJS Foundation Logo

News You Can Use Letter

There are a lot of programs and initiatives the Foundation and CPC have been making progress on this summer. From certifications to surveys, mentorship, individual supporter programs, project infrastructure updates and more, there's plenty to get involved with if you're keen to lend a hand. Say hello in Slack or chime in on a GitHub thread to start contributing!

@jorydotcom


Upcoming Events &

Meeting Reminders

subscribe to our public calendar
  • Friday, August 21 @ 6 p.m. UTC - OpenJS Foundation Public Board Meeting
  • Tuesday, August 25 @ 4 p.m. UTC - Cross Project Council Meeting
  • Tuesday, August 25 @ 6 p.m. UTC - Standards Working Group Meeting
  • Thursday, August 27 @ 5 p.m. UTC - OpenJS Foundation Office Hours

Announcements & FYIs


🌠 Ajv.js is the Foundation's newest Incubating Project! The OpenJS Foundation Cross Project Council is thrilled to welcome Ajv.js to the fold. A JSON Schema validation tool used by millions of devs and projects, project maintainer Evgeny Poberezkin hopes to connect with more contributors and grow the maintainer group as an OpenJS Foundation project. Read all about it here.  


👋 Welcome New End User and Silver Board Members! The Board of Directors has completed its election and announced two new members. Representing End Users, Guilherme Hermetofrom Netflix joins the board along with Myles Borins, representing Silver Members on behalf of GitHub. Congrats and welcome to our newest board reps!


🎩 Happy Top-Level-Await Day - In case you missed it, Top Level Await has been unflagged (it's no longer an experimental feature) in the freshly-released Node v.14.8. We join our colleagues in the Node community in celebrating this accomplishment, particularly given that TLA is a new language feature brought to the spec from an open source contribution. Congratulations, ya'll!!


🖥 Take the Node User Survey - How to handle Promise rejections - The Node TSC is removing a deprecation warning about unhandled promises, and wants to know what the community would prefer to see. Take the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FTJM7YD and let them know what you think!


🎥 In case you missed it - AMA with the Node Certification team -  Last week's AMA was all about the Certification program and new training materials for folks looking to take the test. If you are curious about the certification program, give it a watch!



CPC Meeting Notes & Recap

Meeting Notes Recording GitHub Issue
  • We started with issue #617, Fastify Charter Review. Fastify is nearing the end of its incubation period and will be ready for graduation soon. CPC members are encouraged to review and +1 their charter.
  • Nominations Open: Community Board Seat for OpenJS Foundation Board of Directors (#616) was updated - there were 5 nominations, which are now closed and voting is open through Friday.
  •  On Next Steps for Supporter Program (#607), Sara reported back on the brainstorming meeting that was held last Friday. She is compiling notes from that session into a pull request this week, and is keen to get broader feedback on the group's (exciting) suggestions.

  • On issue, #592, Develop annual review process for projects, Chris Hiller and Tobie Langel have volunteered to move this forward based on the next steps we identified in previous meetings.

  • On #547, Governance changes for Collaboration Network, there was some discussion about the suggestion for a default license for these projects. Eemeli encouraged us to allow different licenses than the default but require an explanation as to why. Tierney suggested using MIT as that is what much of the ecosystem uses. Conversation continues on the PR.

  • On Add Foundation-wide copyright guidance, #414, Eemeli pointed out that the language refers to the “project” as opposed to the foundation. Brian has the AI to see if we can make that change, or if there are other implications.

  • Lastly, on issue #599, We should try an earlier CPC meeting time, there was some general discussion around times and goals about meeting times. Joe will update the issue with a proposal to alternate an early time with the later time, and Eemeli will create an issue asking for input from folks who want to contribute but have difficulty with current meeting times.




08.06 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

OpenJS Foundation Logo

News You Can Use Letter

There's a lot of exciting news from our projects this week, and just a reminder that if you have something exciting to share we are here to help you get the word out. Tell your OpenJS friends - we're here to help!

@jorydotcom

Upcoming Events &

Meeting Reminders

subscribe to our public calendar
  • Tuesday, August 11 @ 4 p.m. UTC - Cross Project Council Meeting
  • Tuesday, August 11 @ 6 p.m. UTC - Standards Working Group Meeting
  • Thursday, August 13 @ 5 p.m. UTC - OpenJS Office Hours
  • Tuesday, August 18 @ 7 p.m. UTC - OpenJS Marketing Committee Meeting

Announcements & FYIs

🎉 Congratulations, HospitalRun! OpenJS Foundation At Large project HospitalRun is on the shortlist for an OpenUK Award, and we couldn't be more proud. Read more about the OpenUK Awards and other nominees here.

🖥 New QUnit Website - Congrats and shout out to the QUnit project for their sweet new website. This represents a lot of work to move off a complex setup with jQuery and something much simpler for them to maintain independently. It looks beautiful - great work Timo & team!

🤗 Welcome New Voting CPC members from Electron! Electron, the OpenJS Foundation's newest Impact project, has elected Tierney Cyren and Shelly Vohr as their Voting CPC members. We are thrilled to have them representing the project, and look forward to getting their input on CPC programs!

CPC Meeting Notes & Recap

Meeting Notes Recording GitHub Issue
  • We started with issue #604, Electron's selection of two voting CPC members. A PR is opened to add Tierney and Shelly - welcome aboard!
  • Issue #601, Director Election Process,  is particularly timely in order to run an election for the open CPC community board seat. The group agreed to extend one seat for 6 months to offset one election, and agreed that immediate election would be for the seat currently held by Node / Michael Dawson. We will begin accepting nominations on Aug. 10 for a one week period, and open an election with OpaVote the following week. Kris Borchers took the action time to update the PR reflecting this agreement.
  • PR #587, Board seat definitions and process, is good to land. Joe Sepi took this action item.
  • #583 Updating the CLA to the Apache-style ICLA and CCLA, has a few tooling details to work out and discuss with the AMP team. The meeting label will be removed for now.
  • Issue #572 was brought to raise awareness of a Hackathon happening later in August, and to connect with folks who might be interested in judging or mentoring. Interested parties should chime in on the issue! The meeting label will be removed for now and the issue closed after the event.
  • On #547, Governance changes for Collaboration Network, is waiting on a board approval vote. Brian Warner will commence the vote and report back.
  • On #326, Responsible Security Disclosures, has a PR to land at stage 3. Marcin has a few procedural changes to bring in, but this is at the final stage.
  • On Issue #607, Next steps for the supporter program, Sara gave a brief summary and shared a doodle poll to start discussing details about implementation of the Supporter program. Anyone who is interested is welcome to attend and contribute!
  • On issue, #592, Develop annual review process for projects, Chris Hiller summarized discussions that have been happening on the repo. The group agreed that the issue could likely be split into a few different issues, and that ideally Growth projects could work in teams to define this review and support one another. Next steps for this are to conclude the onboarding process for the current growth projects, and to get a small group of Growth projects together to get started.


07.29 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

OpenJS Foundation Logo

News You Can Use Letter

We're going to have some exciting news to share soon about new projects and new members - we've been staying busy between our summer vacations! If you'd like to be part of these announcements - let's chat about how you can get involved. Hit me up!

@jorydotcom

Upcoming Events &

Meeting Reminders

subscribe to our public calendar
  • Thursday, July 30 @ 5 p.m. UTC - OpenJSF Office Hours
  • Tuesday, August 4 @ 6 p.m. UTC - Cross Project Council Meeting
  • Tuesday, August 11 @ 6 p.m. UTC - Standards Working Group Meeting

Announcements & FYIs

🚩 Node.JS Certifications have launched in China! A huge congrats to the Node.js project and foundation teams for completing this lift. Ours is an international community, so it's important that our programs and benefits are available to a global audience. Help us get the word out or check out the certification program at https://openjsf.org/certification/.

🙋 OpenJS Foundation Developer Profiles - We're launching a new blog series profiling maintainers, contributors and developers in our projects' communities. If you know someone you think we should feature, please ping Jory or Rachel in Slack! We're looking for diverse folks from across all our projects to highlight and celebrate. The first few profiles will be trickling out soon, so stay posted.

🌠 Node RED v. 1.1 is out! Hot on the tail of their recent 1.0 major release, Node RED has pushed an update that adds some polish to the sidebar and editor. Check out all the updates on their blog, and `npm install`!

CPC Meeting Notes & Recap

Meeting Notes Recording GitHub Issue
  • We started with issue #567, Incubation Process Clarifications, Eemeli Aro had opened a PR with draft language. There have been several approvals on that PR now and it will go to the board for approval.
  • On issue, #592, Develop annual review process for projects, the group agreed that further discussion should be encouraged in the issue but that it would be ideal to have a proposal to respond to. We would additionally like to ensure that there are voices and representatives from Growth projects weighing in. Anyone interested in participating in that discussion is highly encouraged to chime in on the issue.
  • PR #587, Board seat definitions and process, is undergoing one last review by Joe Sepi before Michael Dawson sends it to the board to kickoff the email board vote. This issue is blocking issue #438, 2nd Director Seat Post July 2020. Once the PR lands, #438 will close and  we will open an issue specifically for the upcoming election.
  • #583 Updating the CLA to the Apache-style ICLA and CCLA, hasn't received any further questions or comments. The Board vote on this issue was open and awaiting comments from our conversation; as a result Brian will close the issue now and let the board vote proceed.
  • Issue #572 was brought to raise awareness of a Hackathon happening later in August, and to connect with folks who might be interested in judging or mentoring. Interested parties should chime in on the issue!
  • On #547, Governance changes for Collaboration Network, Michael Dawson has an action item to look at the allowed licenses.
  • On #326, the corresponding PR #566  was merged in, and Michael Dawson will open a new PR to move the proposal to stage 3.


07.22 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

OpenJS Foundation Logo

News You Can Use Letter

There are a lot of initiatives and projects we're hoping to increase momentum on now that we've wrapped OpenJS World 2020 - Individual Supporter Program, OpenJS Collaboration Network, Growth Project Support, Ongoing Onboarding and so much more! If you're interested in getting involved with any of these initiatives, please let me know!

-@jorydotcom

Upcoming Events &

Meeting Reminders

subscribe to our public calendar
  • Friday, July 24 @ 6 p.m. - OpenJSF Public Board Meeting
  • Tuesday, July 28 @ 4 p.m. UTC - Cross Project Council Meeting
  • Tuesday, July 28 @ 6 p.m. UTC - Standards Working Group Meeting
  • Thursday, July 30 @ 5 p.m. UTC - OpenJSF Office Hours

Announcements & FYIs

🗳 Nominations for the Board of Directors Seats Coming soon. We will be announcing the nomination process for the OpenJS Foundation Board of Directors seats very soon. If you or your organization would like to participate in foundation leadership at this level, please talk to Robin Ginn and Brian Warner about your options.

🌊 Changes to Digital Ocean Services for OpenJS Foundation Projects. Digital Ocean recently let us know that they are migrating their "free for open Source" accounts to a credit-based account. We don't anticipate that this will affect our projects and have been communicating with DO about our projects and their use of DO services. If you get any communication (or a bill!) from DO and need help, please let Jory or Brian know.

💼 LinkedIn Quest for 1000 - Let Me Add You to Our Professional Network The OpenJS Foundation Marketing Committee is doing a LinkedIn push, and would love to get to 1000 followers. If you're on LinkedIn, we'd love it if you gave us a follow and shared our content there from time to time. We've found that the recent conference videos make for especially good content shares (you look very professional!). 

🗒 Call for Case Studies. Another request from the Marketing committee is a call for Case Studies. If your organization is using an OpenJS Foundation project at scale, or in a new or interesting way, we'd love to hear about it. Bonus points if you're doing something socially just (because that's just awesome). Let us know in the #pr-marketing channel, or let Rachel, Robin or Jory know!

CPC Meeting Notes & Recap

Meeting Notes Recording GitHub Issue
  • We started with a new issue, #592, Develop annual review process for projects. Eemeli Aro opened the issue and contextualized the proposal: namely that, despite having a stated "project review process", we have not yet completed reviews or assessed our performance & support for Growth Projects. We discussed clarifying the purpose of the Growth stage, and collecting a group of participants from Growth projects to participate in what this review should look like. Eemeli will be gathering some ideas and recruiting participants as a next step.
  • Issue #590 was opened as an action item from last week's meeting to summarize recent changes to the OpenJS Foundation bylaws. Bylaws can be viewed at bylaws.openjsf.org. In summary, the changes bolster the Silver Membership class (protecting the board seats for that class), Adding End User Board seats to widen participation, and clarifying Board participation for organizations that are owned by the same parent company.
  • On PR #587, Board seat definitions and process, Joe Sepi has added updates based on the feedback from last week's discussion. Joe hopes to get enough CPC feedback to send the proposal to the Board before its meeting on Friday. As always, feedback is requested and welcome. This issue is blocking issue #438, 2nd Director Seat Post July 2020.
  • #583 Updating the CLA to the Apache-style ICLA and CCLA, was sent out to the project maintainer community and seems to have the rough consensus necessary to move forward. Implementation details, and navigating the transition, received most of the feedback.
  • Conversation continued on issues #574/#575, which capture the proposal for the individual membership program. The group settled the open question regarding the newsletter by agreeing that it could both be open *and* a benefit for Individual Supporters.
  • RE issue #567, Incubation Process Clarifications, Eemeli Aro has opened a PR with draft language. Comments are requested.
  • On #326, (#566 , corresponding PR) Responsible security disclosures, Michael Dawson will check for any new comments then merge, as was agreed at the last meeting.
  • On #547, Governance changes for Collaboration Network, Michael reported that the proposal had landed as stage 2. He plans to open a PR to advance the proposal to stage 3 and put that forward along with other governance change proposals to the Board.
  • Issue #526, Select Voting Tool for votes, has consensus to continue using OpaVote. Brian and Jory will set up a system by which the community can request election support.
  • Issue #95, Draft proposal for CommonsJS program, was tagged this week. Eemeli requested we discuss whether we want to continue fostering this as it does need a champion. Some discussion ensued about the difference between this and the collaboration network program. Eemeli noted that we should remove the program from the Charter and will draft a PR to spark further discussion.


07.15 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

OpenJS Foundation Logo

News You Can Use Letter

We're half-way through a really busy - and very strange - year for the OpenJS Foundation community. With our first virtual conference and Collab Summit behind us, we're thinking a lot about how to improve and scale event experiences and Foundation services moving forward. We're brainstorming and thinking creatively about a number of programs and policies, too, so if you have ideas you'd like to share or work on I hope you'll reach out and get involved!

@jorydotcom


Upcoming Events &

Meeting Reminders

subscribe to our public calendar
  • Thursday, July 16 @ 5 p.m. UTC - OpenJSF Office Hours
  • Tuesday, July 21 @ 6 p.m. UTC - Cross Project Council Meeting
  • Tuesday, July 21 @ 7 p.m. UTC - OpenJSF Marketing Committee Meeting
  • Friday, July 24 @ 6 p.m. - OpenJSF Public Board Meeting
  • Tuesday, July 28 @ 6 p.m. UTC - Standards Working Group Meeting

Announcements & FYIs


🎥 OpenJS World Keynotes are live! We were blown away by all the talks at OpenJS World, and have been sharing some of our favorites (especially the keynotes) this week on the Foundation's blog. If you haven't already, check out the videos on YouTube and help share your favorites by tweeting @OpenJSF.



CPC Meeting Notes & Recap

Meeting Notes Recording GitHub Issue
  • Michael Dawson shared an FYI that the board had approved changes to the bylaws. The changes do not affect projects, but to summarize the changes clarified board representation and reinforced the Silver membership class. In the future, the CPC Board Director will summarize these changes for us on an FYI issue.
  • The first issue we took up was PR #587, Board seat definitions and process. Joe Sepi contextualized the work, explaining that it sought to clarify terminology and provide more guidance for would-be community board director expectations. Joe requested further input and an engaging discussion ensued for almost the entirety of the meeting. One of the key questions that arose was the role of voting and regular members in the vote for community Board representatives. Joe has a number of language updates to this PR as a result of the conversation.
  • #583 Updating the CLA to the Apache-style ICLA and CCLA, did not have a major update but Jory was given the action item to email all OpenJSF Maintainers for input on this issue.
  • Issues #574/#575, which capture the proposal for the individual membership program, have two big open questions. First was whether the newsletter (this newsletter) should become a program benefit. Bandwidth of foundation staff was a key concern. The second was what more could be offered to supporters to help them create a 'happy path to contributions. Additionally, there was some sentiment around how income from the program benefits supporters. The suggestion is to see how it goes with the program before we decide. This proposal is set to advance.
  • On #326, (#566 , corresponding PR) Responsible security disclosures, Jory sent out an email to the maintainer community asking for feedback. Assuming no objections, we will merge this and advance the proposal by the end of the week.
  • We ran out of time to discuss other items on our agenda, and closed ~10 minutes early to go into a brief private session.



07.08 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

OpenJS Foundation Logo

News-You-Can-Use-Letter

The template got a facelift this week, what do you think?

If you have any thoughts on what would make this more useful, helpful, or enjoyable please do let me know!

Your Pal, Jory


Upcoming Events &

Meeting Reminders

subscribe to our public calendar
  • Tuesday, July 14 @ 4 p.m. UTC - Cross Project Council Meeting
  • Tuesday, July 14 @ 5 p.m. UTC - Collab Summit Retrospective Meeting
  • Tuesday, July 14 @ 6 p.m. UTC - Standards Working Group Meeting
  • Thursday, July 16 @ 5 p.m. UTC - OpenJSF Office Hours
  • Tuesday, July 21 @ 7 p.m. UTC - OpenJSF Marketing Committee Meeting
  • Friday, July 24 @ 6 p.m. - OpenJSF Public Board Meeting

Announcements & FYIs


🎥  In case you missed it, the Node Security Working Group did an AMA Session on Wednesday and it was, as always, super fun! Give it a listen, and let us know when you would like to schedule one with your project. On deck is an AMA with the ESLint team, so start thinking about what you want to ask Kai and Nicholas!


👏  Congratulations, Fastify! The Fastify team has announced the release of Fastify 3.0, and we couldn't be more proud and excited for the team. Congrats on this huge accomplishment go out to Matteo, Tomas, and the dozens of other leads and contributors.


🔨  If you've been thinking about getting involved in standards, the Standards Working Group have authored a blog post you should definitely check out. It describes a bit of the importance of standards and how the Standards WG is organizing to help OpenJS Foundation projects. Give it a read and join us at our next meeting, July 14!


💯  Last but definitely not least, here's a warm welcome to Sara Chipps and Divy Tolia, the CPC's newest regular members! Sara and Divy are already making a big difference, and we couldn't be more grateful for their time and contributions. We hope you will consider following in their footsteps - thank you Sara and Divy!!



CPC Meeting Notes & Recap

Meeting Notes Recording GitHub Issue
  • The first issue we took up was #575, which captures the proposal for the individual membership program and a corresponding pull request. There are two main areas of discussion - first, a clarification that this program will be a 'supporter' program and may need a better name. The second concern raised was whether the newsletter (this newsletter) should become a program benefit. Brian also raised the issue that we will need to plan the technical logistics for taking payments and signing supporters up for benefits. The discussion is ongoing.
  • Issue #573, a proposal to Continue CPC current board members until we get board seats sorted and new elections happen, has agreement from the group and no further discussion was requested.
  • Issue #567, incubation process clarifications, had been raised in response to the somewhat rushed need to conduct a final 'vote' to advance AMP and Electron ahead of the announcements at OpenJS World, which took many by surprise. Eemeli volunteered to author a proposal to modify the existing process and will submit that via pull request.
  • On #326, Responsible security disclosures, Marcin and Michael are waiting for broader feedback from more OpenJSF projects. Jory took the action item to directly reach out to the maintainer community and request input.
  • #562, Initial draft of the Community Board Seat, was landed without further discussion.
  • Issue #474, which initially proposed the OpenJS Collaboration Network, was closed given that the idea has been advancing through the proposal process and discussion is better suited there. Related to that issue, PR #557, Move Collaboration Network to Stage 2 is open and waiting on updates from designated reviewers. There is an additional pull request, #547 that covers Governance Changes for the Collaboration Network. It is blocked on #557.
  • On #438, 2nd Director seat- post July 2020, Joe hopes to have a PR open this week to clarify documentation based on ongoing discussions.
  • Tobie promises more progress on #414, Add Foundation-wide copyright guidance, after he returns from vacation.
  • The final issue, #583 Updating the CLA to the Apache-style ICLA and CCLA, was recently opened and warranted a lot of discussion. Tobie and Brian led the discussion, sharing some context from the source of the existing CLA and some of the benefits of transitioning now. The differences between the existing and proposed CLAs, as well as the differences between using individual (ICLA) or Corporate (CCLA) tools are nuanced; if you are interested in this discussion I recommend watching the last ~10 minutes of the CPC meeting and reaching out to Tobie or Brian to discuss further. Comments are requested on the issue.
  • Finally, we closed the meeting ~10 minutes early to discuss open project applications.



07.03 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

 
 
 
 
 
News You Can Use
 
 
 
 

the weekly newsletter is back - yay!!

📆 Upcoming Events & Meeting Reminders

NEXT CPC MEETING: Tuesday, July 7 @ 6:00 PM UTC

NEXT AMA SESSION: Tuesday, July 8 @ 4:00 PM UTC

NEXT COLLAB SUMMIT PLANNING MEETING: July 14 @ 5:00 PM UTC

NEXT STANDARDS WG MEETING: Tuesday, July 14 @ 6:00 PM UTC

OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Thursday, July 16 @ 5:00 PM UTC

PUBLIC BOARD MEETING: Friday, July 24 @ 6:00 PM UTC

Subscribe to our public calendar

📰 Announcements & FYIs

🚀 OpenJS World Videos are now LIVE! There were a lot of really wonderful sessions and some very special keynotes. In case you missed any of the sessions, you can now view them all live on our YouTube Channel. I loved them all, but some of my favorites included How Not to Save the World with Tech" and this amazing keynote from NASA astronaut Christina Koch. Gotta watch 'em all!

🎯 Collab Summit 2020 Wrap-up: The curtain has also gone down on our first-ever REMOTE collaborator's summit - notes and links to the recordings can be found on the /summit repo under each session proposal here. We're planning a retrospective meeting for this event on July 14, and those who attended or led sessions are kindly asked to fill out this feedback survey!

📹 Participate in our next AMA: The Node Security Working Group will be doing our next AMA on July 8 at 9 a.m. PST. Tune in to our youtube channel to watch live, or join us in the zoom to ask questions directly! As always if your project would like to do an AMA, let Jory or Rachel know!

🗒 Meeting Notes & Recaps

CPC MEETING RECAP
Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue

  • The first issue we took up was #575, which captures the proposal for the individual membership program and a corresponding pull request. Sara Chipps shared her work and insights gathered from meetings with different stakeholders and the CPC attendees were enthusiastic about this direction. In short, the program would create a very low-cost 'supporter' category which would grant participants benefits like a member-only newsletter*, discounted events tickets, and the ability to purchase member-only swag. Further discussion is encouraged on the PR.
  • Issue #573, Continue CPC current board members until we get board seats sorted and new elections happen, is a proposal from the Collab Summit. The CPC members on the call were supportive of this approach and questioned if we really needed to do anything further to approve. Myles pointed out that this is technically a governance update but that our process should be revised to allow for quicker adoption of simple, unanimously endorsed decisions.
  • Issue #567, incubation process clarifications, had been raised in response to the somewhat rushed need to conduct a final 'vote' to advance AMP and Electron ahead of the announcements at OpenJS World, which took many by surprise. Key stakeholders were not all present to discuss this issue so the group moved on quickly.
  • Issue #565, Was merged and closed - Welcome Divy Tolia as our newest regular CPC member!
  • Several issues were open and on the agenda, but did not have stakeholders ready or able to give updates: #474, OpenJS Collaboration Network, #438, 2nd Director seat- post July 2020, #414, Add Foundation-wide copyright guidance, and #326, Responsible security disclosures.
  • The last agenda item we took up was from the Code of Conduct Repo - #8, Onboarding: Provide explicit feedback on what escalation path is and how to implement it + temporarily address in the Onboarding Checklist. Tierney described the concerns from Node CommComm and the group agreed that a specific meeting about this from the Code of Conduct group was the best next step. Jory has the action item to schedule the meeting. The CPC agenda label was also removed for now.
  • We closed the meeting about 20 minutes early in order to go into a private session - we discussed new project applicants and event feedback.
* The current proposal is for this newsletter to transition to the supporter newsletter. Current newsletter subscribers would remain on the list.
 
 
         
 
🔗 Handy-Dandy Links
 
twitter @openjsf
github github.com/openjs-foundation
youtube OpenJSF YouTube Channel
 
 
 




05.27 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

 
 
 
 
 
News You Can Use
 
 
 
 


📆 Upcoming Events & Meeting Reminders

NEXT CPC MEETING: Tuesday, June 2 @ 4:00 PM UTC

NEXT COLLAB SUMMIT PLANNING MEETING: June 2 @ 5:00 PM UTC

NEXT STANDARDS WG MEETING: Tuesday, June 2 @ 6:00 PM UTC

OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Thursday, June 4 @ 5:00 PM UTC

MARKETING COMMITTEE MEETING: Tuesday, June 16 @ 7:00 PM UTC

PUBLIC BOARD MEETING: Friday, June 26 @ 6:00 PM UTC

Subscribe to our public calendar

📰 Announcements & FYIs

🗺  The hottest topics - OpenJS World & Collab Summit Announcements: Hard to believe, but OpenJS World and the Collab Summit are less than a month away! Check out the event schedule and make sure you're registered - remember, both events are free! We have some surprises in store so don't miss it . I also want to remind everyone that our call for Collab Summit proposals is open just a tiny bit longer; please submit any session ideas on the /summit repo before Friday, June 5!


🗒 Meeting Notes & Recaps

CPC MEETING RECAP
Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue

  • Technical issues with our Agenda creation bot delayed the start of our meeting this week, but nonetheless we were able to have a productive regular session.
  • We started with issue #552, Project Charter Review for AMP. AMP has submitted its charter for review as part of the Onboarding process. CPC members should review the charter and ask any questions.
  • On issue #549, Joe outlined the proposal for the CPC Chair election schedule. No objections were raised and Joe will capture this in the issue.
  • We discussed this PR to move the Collaboration Network program proposal to stage 1, along with the related issue #548. Michael had no additional updates and is waiting on a few more +1s. We agreed in the meeting it can land, then Michael can open an issue to advance it to the next stage (2).
  • Issue #543, Should outgoing voting members become regular members? seemed to reach resolution as the group agreed on prioritizing inclusivity. The plan is to move outgoing voting members to regular membership by default but confirm that is their choice.
  • Issue #438, which is about how we should handle the 2nd Community Board Seat, is waiting on an update from Brian, who plans to share the documentation that has been created for expectations of board members before the group proceeds further.
  • There were no meaningful updates on issues #414, Add Foundation-wide copyright guidance, or #326, Responsible security disclosures.
  • Joe recapped issue
  • #553, Individual Membership Program on behalf of Sara Chipps who submitted an update but was unable to attend. All community members are encoruaged to respond to Sara's questions in the issue.
  • We had a bit of remaining time, so there was an ad hoc discussio of the open Code of Conduct documentation PR. We then closed the meeting a few minutes early to continue follow-up discussions of a project applicant.
 
 
         
 
🔗 Handy-Dandy Links
 
twitter @openjsf
github github.com/openjs-foundation
youtube OpenJSF YouTube Channel
 
 
 


--


05.20 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

 
 
 
 
 
News You Can Use
 
 
 
 


📆 Upcoming Events & Meeting Reminders

NEXT CPC MEETING: Tuesday, May 26 @ 6:00 PM UTC

NEXT COLLAB SUMMIT PLANNING MEETING: June 2 @ 5:00 PM UTC

NEXT STANDARDS WG MEETING: Tuesday, June 2 @ 6:00 PM UTC

OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Thursday, May 21 @ 5:00 PM UTC

PUBLIC BOARD MEETING: Friday, May 22 @ 6:00 PM UTC

Subscribe to our public calendar

📰 Announcements & FYIs

🗺 OpenJS World Announcements: In case you've missed it, the full schedule for OpenJS World is live - and there are some truly exciting and inspiring talks in store. We've had over 600 registrants, and we really want you to be among the attendees! The event is free and online - Register here for the conference and the collab summit!

📣 Call for Collab Summit Proposals: A lot of OpenJS Foundation projects have already signed up to host sessions during the Collab Summit, and again, we hope that includes yours! The Summit is shaping up to be a lovely 3-day affair with lots of input from the community. We're excited to bring everyone together to collaborate, share, and have fun! If you'd like to join in, register for the event and also submit a session via our /summit repo.

💬 New Slack Channels! The OpenJS Foundation community is growing bigger by the day, and as a result we've added new project channels in our Slack workspace so you can engage with your favorite projects. Click here to join and chat with people from Node, Electron, jQuery, Dojo, Express and more!


🗒 Meeting Notes & Recaps

CPC MEETING RECAP
Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue

  • This week, we had a more in-depth discussion about specific issues rather than our weekly "stand" style session. We are experimenting with more working meetings in order to make progress on specific efforts.
  • We shared some upcoming meeting announcements, then briefly discussed two issues that the CPC has been requested to review: A PR to move the Collaboration Network program proposal to stage 1, and an issue requesting that the CPC revisit the Individual Membership Program. On the latter, Sara Chipps and others volunteered to re-assess.#488.
  • We then moved to discuss #438, which is about how we should handle the 2nd Community Board Seat, currently occupied by a Node.js representative, for the upcoming year. Our charter had assigned the seat to Node for our first year of transition but provides a great deal of flexibility for how to allocate it beyond that. Node.js is happy to continue to serve in this capacity for the next year as well. The group agreed that we need to describe and circulate a set of expectations for the Community Director Board seat and that we should use such a document to determine if other projects or persons from the community would be interested in the role. Brian Warner and others have volunteered to complete this for next week.
  • Issue #474, OpenJS Collaboration Network, was briefly discussed - conversation continues on the proposal in the issue and related PR.
  • On issue #469, Populate the Code Of Conduct Panel, the group reported that we are continuing to do outreach. Matteo shared that Jordan Harband will be the rep from Node, and Dylan S. volunteered from Dojo. Jory will follow up one last time via email and the group will begin organizing next steps. A related issue about upstreaming the changes we have to make on the Contributor Covenant was tabled for later discussion.
  • The second working item was a discussion about the work on the code of conduct repo. Jory requested final review from folks on the Code of Conduct Charter PR, which was merged in after a short discussion. We also held a brief discussion about implementation guidelines which have been drafted in this PR. We were nearly out of time so those discussions are continuing on the repo.
  • We closed the meeting early in order to go into a private session and discuss a potential applicant.
 
 
         
 
🔗 Handy-Dandy Links
 
twitter @openjsf
github github.com/openjs-foundation
youtube OpenJSF YouTube Channel
 
 
 




05.13 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

 
 
 
 
 
News You Can Use
 


 


📆 Upcoming Events & Meeting Reminders

NEXT MARKETING COMMITTEE: Tuesday, May 19 @ 3:30 PM UTC

NEXT CPC MEETING: Tuesday, May 19 @ 4:00 PM UTC

NEXT COLLAB SUMMIT PLANNING MEETING: Tuesday, May 19 @ 5:00 PM UTC

NEXT STANDARDS WG MEETING: Tuesday, May 19 @ 6:00 PM UTC

OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Thursday, May 21 @ 5:00 PM UTC

PUBLIC BOARD MEETING: Friday, May 22 @ 6:00 PM UTC

Subscribe to our public calendar

📰 Announcements & FYIs

Congrats, ESLint Team!!! In case you missed it Friday, ESLint released lucky version 7.0 - congrats to Nicholas and Kai, and all the contributors who helped make it happen. Read more about the new version, and say congrats on slack or twitter!

🎟 Register now for OpenJS World and Collab Summit We've already had 100s of registrants from all over the world - and we want you to be among them! We have a whole week of high-quality content and fun activities - check the schedule and signup! #tellyourfriends

📣 Call for Collab Summit Proposals As you have read in my past emails, we are organizing several tracks for Collab Summit, and we're holding it 100% online. That means we need to get all the content we want to work on in early. To submit a proposal, head over to the /summit repo and open an issue using the template. This will ask you for all the info we need in order to schedule your session. The planning team will then get to work putting it on the event schedule for a time that works for your collaborators.

Thank You, new Voting CPC Members! The Regular members concluded an election to appoint two regular members to the voting CPC membership. Eemeli Aro of messageformat and Michael Dawson from Node will be the voting members elected from regular members for the 2020-21 term. Thanks to all who nominated!


🗒 Meeting Notes & Recaps

CPC MEETING RECAP
Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue

  • We held a regular CPC meeting this week, going through the issues that have been tagged for the CPC agenda.
  • We started with issue #541, Adding Code of Conduct WG charter. We have made significant progress on this thanks to the working sessions over the past two weeks. Members are asked to review and approve so that this can land.
  • On issue #531, Updating requirements to become a regular member, the issue has been open for some time and comments have been resolved. Michael will now ask the board to initiate a vote.
  • Issue #504, Voting members chosen by Regular members, the issue was closed as the election has concluded. Eemeli Aro and Michael Dawson were voted in.
  • Issues #503, How do we keep Code of Conduct up to date without upstreaming our modifications to it, and #469, Populate the Code Of Conduct Panel, were both transferred to the newly created Code of Conduct repo and removed from the agenda label. These issues will move forward under the CoC Working Group.
  • Issue #474, OpenJS Collaboration Network is going to split out into two separate PRs. One PR will address the charter changes that would be required (and would then require board approval). The other PR will land the proposal as Stage 0.
  • Issue #438, 2nd Director seat- post July 2020, was discussed but did not reach resolution. At issue is how to allocate the second board seat, which has been held by the Node project for the first year. Members are encouraged to weigh in on the issue. The topic will also take up significant discussion time on next week's agenda.
  • Issue #414 Add Foundation-wide copyright guidance, did not recieve an update.
  • Issue #326 Responsible security disclosures did not get an update this week.
  • The CPC will hold another working session next meeting, focusing on the Board seat question and Code of Conduct WG items.
  • We concluded approximately 15 minutes early for a private session to discuss a new application.
 
 
         
 
🔗 Handy-Dandy Links
 
twitter @openjsf
github github.com/openjs-foundation
youtube OpenJSF YouTube Channel
 
 
 



--
Create and share beautiful email templates
x
REMOVE


05.08 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

 
 
 
 
 
News You Can Use
 



 

Did you know? You can view the archives of this email list at lists.openjsf.org/g/projects/topics


📆 Upcoming Events & Meeting Reminders

NEXT CPC MEETING: Tuesday, May 12 @ 6:00 PM UTC

NEXT COLLAB SUMMIT PLANNING MEETING: Tuesday, May 19 @ 5:00 PM UTC

NEXT STANDARDS WG MEETING: Tuesday, May 19 @ 6:00 PM UTC

OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Thursday, May 21 @ 5:00 PM UTC

PUBLIC BOARD MEETING: Friday, May 22 @ 6:00 PM UTC

Subscribe to our public calendar

📰 Announcements & FYIs

🎟 Register now for OpenJS World and Collab Summit We've already had 100s of registrants from all over the world - and we want you to be among them! We have a whole week of high-quality content and fun activities - check the schedule and signup! #tellyourfriends

📣 HURRY - Call for Collab Summit Proposals As you have read in my past emails, we are organizing several tracks for Collab Summit, and we're holding it 100% online. That means we need to get all the content we want to work on in early. To submit a proposal, head over to the /summit repo and open an issue using the template. This will ask you for all the info we need in order to schedule your session. The planning team will then get to work putting it on the event schedule for a time that works for your collaborators.

📺 Watch the Node-RED AMA In case you missed it this week, the Node-RED team did a top-notch AMA you can catch here. Next up, we'll be running an AMA with the Node Security Working Group in June. If your project is interested in doing an OpenJSF AMA video please reach out to Rachel or Jory!

 

🗒 Meeting Notes & Recaps

CPC MEETING RECAP
Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue

  • This meeting was another working session for CPC members to focus on the Code of Conduct issues, particularly those which are blocking or slowing incubating projects.
  • We briefly discussed the Election process for Voting Members from Regular members. The group agreed that we should use Opavote and the ScottishSTV method for this election. Jory has prepared the election to begin on May 6.
  • We discussed the Code of Conduct Working Group charter, and did some group workshopping of the language. Joe has submitted a PR for wider review, which you can view here.
  • We discussed the issues affecting onboarding, which include developing clear guidelines for projects about how to consume the Code of Conduct from OpenJS Foundation into their own projects in a consistent way, as well as clarifying the escalation path language. After some discussion, the group agreed on providing some options to projects that would be documented in the code of conduct repo. Jory has the action item to PR a draft.
 
 
         
 
🔗 Handy-Dandy Links
 
twitter @openjsf
github github.com/openjs-foundation
youtube OpenJSF YouTube Channel
 
 
 


--


Google Season of Docs

Jory Burson
 

Hello!
The OpenJS Foundation is applying for Google Season of Docs on behalf of its projects - we have one project's proposal in so far, and we'd love to add 1-2 more! 

If your project would like some help from a technical writer and you're able to mentor that person for 1-3 months, let us know! The application is due May 4 - that's coming up quick - but all you need to do is open a PR against this file: 

https://github.com/openjs-foundation/cross-project-council/tree/master/mentorship/2020/google-season-of-docs

And of course let Brian Warner or myself know here or in slack if you have any questions.

-Jory

--


04.29 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

 
 
 
 
 
News You Can Use
 
 

Good News Everyone - this email is short 😂


📆 Upcoming Events & Meeting Reminders

NEXT CPC MEETING: Tuesday, May 5 @ 4:00 PM UTC

NEXT COLLAB SUMMIT PLANNING MEETING: Tuesday, May 5 @ 5:00 PM UTC

NEXT STANDARDS WG MEETING: Tuesday, May 5 @ 5:00 PM UTC

OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Thursday, May 7 @ 5:00 PM UTC

Subscribe to our public calendar

📰 Announcements & FYIs

🎉 OpenJS World is now a free, online event! After weeks of promising updates, we're excited to announce the full schedule of speakers AND share that the event will be held virtually AND share that it's all FREE. Check out our blog post as well as the event page for more information - and of course register now!

📣 Collab Summit News & Proposals: The Collab Summit will also be an online-only experience, and we've expanded the programmed content to three days. We're looking for sessions for New Contributors, Project sessions, and cross-project content. Propose your session on the /summit repo or follow along there and in the Slack channel for the latest news.

📺 Catch our next AMA with Node-RED! Join us Wednesday, May 6 for the next AMA series with Node-RED. Use this form to ask a question, and then tune in on YouTube Wednesday at 16:00 UTC!


🗒 Meeting Notes & Recaps

CPC MEETING RECAP
Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue

  • This meeting was a bit different than usual. Rather than go through the list of open issues, the CPC took today's call to focus on one high-priority area that needed more focus: Code of Conduct related issues.
  • Jory shared a slide deck she made to help organize her own understanding of the problem space.
  • The group discussed a few issues brought up during the conversation including providing CoC onboarding materials, CoC implementation best practices, and others. It also discussed ways in which the open CoC issues are blocking other projects.
  • The CPC agreed that a Code of Conduct Working Group should be created and prioritized. Several action items were taken:
    • We will create a repo for the Code of Conduct Working Group here.
    • We will work on a draft Charter for this group here.
    • We will begin to move CoC issues to this repo and organize the work in that space.
    • We will create a Code of Conduct Working Group channel in Slack
  • The group hopes to make significant progress this week and to be able to finish the draft charter at next week's CPC meeting.
  • The current plan is to do 1-2 more working sessions on this topic and return to a 'Stand' style meeting in a couple of weeks, alternating between working meetings and stand meetings.
 
 
         
 
🔗 Handy-Dandy Links
 
twitter @openjsf
github github.com/openjs-foundation
youtube OpenJSF YouTube Channel
 
 
 




--
Create and share beautiful email templates
x
REMOVE


[Announcement] OpenJS World Schedule & Virtual Experience

Jory Burson
 

📰 Extra! Extra! Read all about it!! 

The OpenJS World programming committee is excited to share the full conference schedule, and to announce that the event will be held online June 23-24. We have a great line-up of speakers, and more fun content to come - including community-run collab summit sessions. And one of the best parts? It's all FREE. 

Check out the blog post: 

And if you have a moment, give us a RT on Twitter? https://twitter.com/openjsf/status/1255153980927127554


--


04.22 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

 
 
 
 
 
News You Can Use
 


 

 I've been watching a lot of cello covers; how are you coping lately? Share your funny (and CoC appropriate) memes & vids in #random!


📆 Upcoming Events & Meeting Reminders

NEXT CPC MEETING: Tuesday, April 28 @ 6:00 PM UTC

NEXT COLLAB SUMMIT PLANNING MEETING: Tuesday, May 5 @ 5:00 PM UTC

NEXT STANDARDS WG MEETING: Tuesday, May 5 @ 6:00 PM UTC

OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Thursday, May 7 @ 5:00 PM UTC

PUBLIC BOARD MEETING: Friday, April 24 @ 6:00 PM UTC

Subscribe to our public calendar

📰 Announcements & FYIs

❓ Is Your Organization an OpenJS Foundation Member? The marketing committee is looking for volunteer members to profile on our blog. If your organization is interested in being featured, reach out to Robin, Rachel or Jory! We're also looking for a diverse set of developers to profile, case studies, technical content and more!

🗺 OpenJS World Updates: We anticipate having some very exciting news to share with you next week, including speaker announcements! The program committee pulled together an amazing lineup, and continue to work on additional content and ideas for the event. As ever, we're mindful of the challenges in our current climate and are keeping https://events.linuxfoundation.org/openjs-world/attend/novel-coronavirus-update/ up-to-date.

📣 Call for Collab Summit Proposals: In case you missed the email earlier today, we have a lot of updates to share regarding the collab summit. We're looking for session proposals to fill tracks for New Contributors, Projects, and Cross-Project topics. If you have something to propose, we'd love you to share it with us over on the /summit repo.

📺 Catch our next AMA with Node-RED! Join us Wednesday, May 6 for the next AMA series with Node-RED. Use this form to ask a question, and then tune in on YouTube Wednesday at 16:00 UTC!


🗒 Meeting Notes & Recaps

CPC MEETING RECAP
Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue

  • Joe started the meeting by sharing an idea to re-organize CPC meetings in order to focus on high-priority areas. The gist of the idea is that we would rotate between having status meetings like we have been doing, and working sessions focused on specific issues. The CPC will continue that discussion via email.
  • Issue #503, How do we keep Code of Conduct up to date without upstreaming our modifications to it, as well as #469, Populate the Code Of Conduct Panel, were cited as the issues that would benefit from the working sessions. Jory and Joe hope to make this issue the central topic of the next CPC meeting.
  • Issue #513, Updates to requirements of potential new Regular Members, has an open PR that Joe has been working on. The PR would introduce charter changes so members are encouraged to provide feedback.
  • On issue #504, Voting members chosen by Regular members, the group had some discussion about voting methods and tools such as CIVS or Opavote. We discussed some of the drawbacks for how the last vote was conducted and whether we should keep the voting method consistent. Nominations are sought from regular members on the issue.
  • Michael reported that the Board vote is actively underway for issue #495, Amendment to the by laws to ensure a sign-off between Voting CPC members.
  • Issue #474, OpenJS Collaboration Network, had no update.
  • Issue #414 Add Foundation-wide copyright guidance, will be updated further next week.
  • Finally, issue #326 Responsible security disclosures did not get an update this week.
  • The meeting concluded early.
 
 
         
 
🔗 Handy-Dandy Links
 
twitter @openjsf
github github.com/openjs-foundation
youtube OpenJSF YouTube Channel
 
 
 


--


[FYI] Exciting and Important Collab Summit Updates

Jory Burson
 

On behalf of the 2020 collab summit planning group, I'm excited to share a few updates and encourage you all to participate in this edition of Collab Summit.

TL,DR? New tracks, additional dates, online tools, submit a session!

🏁 Announcing Collab Summit 'Tracks'
This year we will have four tracks for different types of content.
  • New Contributors Track - we're looking for sessions that are beginner friendly, help new participants onboard into your project, learn a skill, or otherwise feel welcomed into OpenJSF spaces.
  • Cross-Project Track - this track is for sessions that interest or would apply to several projects. This can be specific to Cross-Project Council initiatives like the Standards Working Group, or to topic areas that affect lots of projects, like security or modules.
  • Project Track - this track is for project-specific sessions or working group meetings. This is the ideal track for your core contributors to meet, hold design sessions, tackle issues together or just brainstorm. 
  • Ad Hoc Track - this is for all the impromptu conversations that may pop up as a result of the sessions. We will have space for you to have these conversations as you need them.
💻 Adjusting For An Online Experience
Given the global Covid-19 situation, we are making adjustments to hold Collab Summit online. Details about the video conferencing and tooling platform will be shared as soon as they are available. To make this as smooth an experience as possible, we are working on:
  • An Updated Session Facilitator's Guide to support presenters remotely
  • A platform demo an dry-run for presenters and moderators
  • A scheduling tool to maximally accommodate participants across timezones
  • Adjusting the event dates
  • Clear documentation for registrants to help them move between session "rooms" and find the content they are looking for
📅 3 Days of Collab Summit, 1 week of OpenJS Events

To ease the schedule management and burden on facilitators, we're spreading collab summit sessions out over 3 days, wrapped around the OpenJS World event: 
  • Monday, June 22: Collab Summit's New Contributor Track Day
  • Tuesday, June 23: OpenJS World Day 1
  • Wednesday, June 24: OpenJS World Day 2
  • Thursday, June 25: Collab Summit Project Track Day
  • Friday, June 26: Collab Summit Cross-Project Track Day
Ad Hoc Sessions can be held any day, and if a session presenter isn't available on the specific track day we will find a time that works. 

💪 Submit A Session & Get Involved
We're eager for you to submit your session proposals ASAP so we can build out the best schedule. 
1. Go to /summit and open an issue using the issue template
2. Let us know what track your session fits into, what time constraints you may have, and any other info you think would be helpful
3. We'll ping you for more information if we need it, and get back to you in a few weeks with technical details

Want to help us plan or get involved? We have several issues for help wanted and also upcoming meetings you can join. There's also a #collabsummit channel in our OpenJSF Slack workspace for other chatter!

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you at OpenJSF Collab Summit 2020! 🎉

ps - some of you are probably getting this multiple times because it's going out to multiple lists. sorry about that. - jory

--


04.16 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

 
 
 
 
 
News You Can Use


 

 📚read any good books lately? would love some recommendations in Slack!


📆 Upcoming Events & Meeting Reminders

NEXT CPC MEETING: Tuesday, April 21 @ 4:00 PM UTC

NEXT COLLAB SUMMIT PLANNING MEETING: Tuesday, April 21 @ 5:00 PM UTC

NEXT STANDARDS WG MEETING: Tuesday, April 21 @ 6:00 PM UTC

MARKETING COMMITTEE MEETING: Tuesday, April 21 @ 7:00 PM UTC

OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Thursday, April 23 @ 5:00 PM UTC

PUBLIC BOARD MEETING: Friday, April 24 @ 6:00 PM UTC

Subscribe to our public calendar

📰 Announcements & FYIs

🎉 Congrats on the new release, jQuery! 10+ years strong, jQuery is still the most-used JavaScript library on the web. This week, the team announced the release of jQuery 3.5.0. Team Leads Timmy Willison and Dave Methvin keep it compatible and secure, and the web owes them a debt of gratitude - we're grateful for all the team's work and proud that jQuery is an Impact project at the OpenJS Foundation!

💬 Project News? Let us help get the word out! The Foundation marketing committee is eager to help projects spread the word about new releases, project plans, blog posts, meetings, or anything really. Join us in the #pr-marketing channel in Slack or reach out to Rachel or Jory!

📣 New voting CPC representatives announced: Congratulations to Chris Hiller (Mocha) and Tobie Langel (AMP), who have been elected voting members on behalf of Growth, At Large, and Incubating projects for this year. We're also grateful to Kris Borchers, Nick O'Leary, Anton Molleda, Eemeli Aro, and Chris Hiller for serving last year. You can see the complete list of voting members here.

🗺 OpenJS World & Collab Summit Updates: We plan to announce OpenJS World speaker selections next week, so be on the lookout for that. We've also been diligently working through a revised plan for the conference and hope to be able to communicate that soon. Please continue to check https://events.linuxfoundation.org/openjs-world/attend/novel-coronavirus-update/ and let us know if you have any questions. The Collab Summit planning team is also working hard on a new plan and welcomes anyone who would like to participate!

📺 Catch our next AMA with Node-RED! Join us Wednesday, May 6 for the next AMA series with Node-RED. Use this form to ask a question, and then tune in on YouTube Wednesday at 16:00 UTC!


🗒 Meeting Notes & Recaps

CPC MEETING RECAP
Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue

  • We started with issue #513, Updates to requirements of potential new Regular Members, which adds clarity to the Regular Member role & expectations. The goal of the revision is to make expectations and responsibilities more clear for potential CPC members. Joe has turned an ongoing discussion about this into a PR.
  • Issue #504, Voting Members chosen by Regular members, will be completed based on the timeline identified in the issue.
  • #502, add code of conduct and moderation information to openjsf.org, was closed after Brian showed that it was live and made a few tweaks.
  • #501, Self-managed maintainer directory + Groups.io mailing lists on @lists.openjsf.org, had some discussion about public vs. private repos since the data included email addresses. The conclusion was to go the private repo route, and Tierney volunteered to work with Brian on some clever solutions for sharing the data securely.
  • Issue #488, Call for nominations for voting CPC reps, is closed pending the merge of PR #519, announcing that Chris Hiller and Tobie Langel have been elected to these posts. Congrats again!
  • Issue #474, OpenJS Collaboration Network, did not have any updates.
  • Issue #414 Add Foundation-wide copyright guidance, had a brief update and Tobie reported that he had some work to push this week.
  • PR #386 Add Post-Graduation Checklist has been approved by the Board and will land and close.
  • Issue #326 Responsible security disclosures did not get an update this week.
  • On issue #469, Populate the Code Of Conduct Panel, one of the questions that has continued to arise from projects seeking clarity is what the role of the panel is meant to be. Robin and Jory reported on the folks they had reached out directly to, and also on what the function of this panel is based on current understanding. Unfortunately we ran out of time before concluding this topic or being able to move on to the related issue, #503, How do we keep Code of Conduct up to date without upstreaming our modifications to it.
 
 
         
 
🔗 Handy-Dandy Links
 
twitter @openjsf
github github.com/openjs-foundation
youtube OpenJSF YouTube Channel
 
 
 


--


04.08 News You Can Use & CPC Updates

Jory Burson
 

 
 
 
 
 
News You Can Use
 

 

Get up and stretch! Check out these amazing online yoga classes from community member Dylan Schiemann! 🙌


📆 Upcoming Events & Meeting Reminders

NEXT CPC MEETING: Tuesday, April 13 @ 6:00 PM UTC

NEXT COLLAB SUMMIT PLANNING MEETING: Tuesday, April 21 @ 5:00 PM UTC

NEXT STANDARDS WG MEETING: Tuesday, April 21 @ 6:00 PM UTC

OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Thursday, April 9 @ 5:00 PM UTC

PUBLIC BOARD MEETING: Friday, April 24 @ 6:00 PM UTC

Subscribe to our public calendar

📰 Announcements & FYIs

💬 Join us on the JS Holodeck! We're doing a little "gather round the virtual water cooler" to hang out and be unproductive together, virtually. This Friday, April 10 join us at 19:30 UTC on zoom - call details will be shared in the #general channel on Slack.

😷 OpenJS World, Collab Summit, & Covid-19: Please continue to check https://events.linuxfoundation.org/openjs-world/attend/novel-coronavirus-update/ for the latest updates. We are actively evaluating systems to provide online conference experiences, and hope to have more concrete information to share in the next couple of weeks. We also recommend that you wait to purchase lodging and airfare until May 1.

📣 Call for Collab Summit Proposals: This year, we're organizing session proposals by track: New Contributors, Project Session, Cross-Project Sessions, and Ad Hoc. Mosey on over to the /summit repo to open an issue to propose a session! We're looking to get all the pre-planned sessions on a schedule by the end of May. Pretty please, with a cherry on top, let us know what you'd like to propose!


🗒 Meeting Notes & Recaps

CPC MEETING RECAP
Meeting Notes | Recording | GH issue

  • We started with issue #504, Voting members chosen by regular members. We will come back to this issue once the voting members from non-impact projects have been finalized.
  • We discussed issue #503, How do we keep Code of Conduct up to date without upstreaming our modifications to it, which relates to the problem of upstreaming changes from our CoC to the Contributor Covenant. Tobie Langel gave more context for this in a private session, as it stemmed from a private conversation he had.
  • Issue #501, Self-managed maintainer directory + Groups.io mailing lists on @lists.openjsf.org, was skipped for the day as Brian was unable to join.
  • PR #495, Amendment to the by laws to ensure a sign-off between Voting CPC members, is ready to go. We need 50% of voting members to approve this. Tierney volunteered to help reach out to voting members in order to move forward.
  • Issue #488, Call for nominations for voting CPC reps, remains open though the nomination period is closed. Jory suggested doing a post mortem of the election process and Joe agreed to open an issue.
  • Issue #482, Webhint Project Charter Review, was approved and landed.
  • Issue #474, OpenJS Collaboration Network, had no new updates. Michael is continuing to research other programs.
  • On issue #469, Populate the Code Of Conduct Panel, we added the list of reps that we have confirmed in order to document where we have made progress.
  • Issue #414 Add Foundation-wide copyright guidance, had no update.
  • Issue #386 Add Post-Graduation Checklist is at the Board level for a vote. Michael will follow up to see if that has closed and report back.
  • Lastly, on issue #326 Responsible security disclosures, Michael reported an overview of conversations with Marcin and Tobie reported that he is getting stakeholders from the AMP project to review as well.
  • We concluded the meeting ~15 minutes early for a discussion related to the CoC and issue #503.
 
 
         
 
🔗 Handy-Dandy Links
 
twitter @openjsf
github github.com/openjs-foundation
youtube OpenJSF YouTube Channel
 
 
 


-- 


Sponsoring interns displaced as a result of COVID-19

Robin Ginn
 

Hi Project friends. Does your open source project need an intern, and do you have resources to support? The Linux Foundation will be announcing that it’s expanding its Mentorship Program in response to COVID-19 by supporting interns who have been displaced as a result of the global pandemic. This program allows interns to work on any open source project, including OpenJS Foundation projects and projects outside the LF org. We’re looking for sponsoring organizations, and intern program maintainers and mentors to participate.

Sponsorship starts at $6k for a single intern up to the-sky's-the-limit for marquee sponsorship. Every intern counts, so every little bit helps. The program is 100% remote.

Large donors will be highlighted by the LF, and the OpenJS can feature interested mentor/mentee collaborations. The Linux Foundation has provided $100K in seed funding to jumpstart the program immediately.

Applications for the Mentorship Program will be accepted starting today and will be open for four weeks. Candidates will be reviewed and notified during the final weeks of May. Mentees will be matched with their mentors and begin their programs on or around June 1. 

Attached is more info on the program. Please give me a shout if you’re interested or have questions.

Thanks,

Robin

1 - 20 of 100